dead 91 corona

Ned

Hey guys, little brothers car died... 91 corona...

he was driving and it spluttered and died, probably from no gas so he got some gas, tried to start, battery fucked out and got someone to jump start him. still didnt work.

strange guy poured petrol over his air filter and then it ran for a bit and died again so he guessed fuel filter blocked because he probably sucked up the crap from the bottom of the tank.

so i looked at it, tried to start, battery flat, jumper leads on it and still wouldnt start... jumer leads really hot and part of the plastic cover of the handels molten :thumbdown: :shock: was earth btw

looked at fuel filter anyway and was pretty dirty when i poured all that was in it out so ran a fair bit of degreaser through it for the hell of it. blew through the inlet and outlet pipes, all clear.

now, why doesn't it start?

i thought maybe some real bad shit went down, when you try and start it it just draws so much fucking current to try and turn over the engine because its buggered or there is just a strange short...

either one make it strage that it wouldnt start and it did run with petrol poured into carb (actually poured over the air filter thats over the carb)

anyone know whats wrong?

like i said, fuels lines are clear as i could blow through them. could hear the one going to the fuel tank bubble so it also has enough fuel to get sucked up

it could possibly be the fuel pump thats buggered but that doesnt explain the melting jumper leads...

and i cant tow it, well i could, but it'd be pointless as its an auto so towing it wouldnt do anything.

Cheap jumper leads heat up pretty quickly from experience, dont think it will be the cars fault.

If you can get the ones designed for diesels they're heavier gauge so won't heat up - and the hotter they get, the more the resistance increases, so they get hotter, and deliver even less power...

Well, if experince is anything, super cheap leads are totally shit, found that out thanks to pies and Richie

Also instead of earthing it out through the battery, put the earth on the motor.

And otherwise who knows

Did you put the old fuel filter back on? or what?

Allan

it works now. the leads have been used plenty of times with no problems with my own car (3l v6) which should draw more current then my little brothers gutless thing while trying to start. they aren't super cheap leads so they should be ok. they are gas station ones so yeah...

i didn't try earthing it elsewhere vut will do next time

we swapped the batteries between cars and found my brothers battery to be dead and started it with dads and it worked again which makes sense, just dont see why it made my leads burn out... did the same to my dads leads which are pretty old but they were fucking expansive back in the day when he bought some... used it for tractors n shit