Straight cut gears etc

thminiman

sup cunts

as some of you know, the thaughts of a straight cut box are going thru my head at the moment, but i sorta want to no all the goods and bads of them first, and what exactly you can and cant do with them, cos ive heard mixed stories.

so, whats drivability like? any good around town or shit?

what can and cant you do? when exactly do you need to clutch?

choice, will prolly ask more questions

http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?pid=35964

http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?pid=38071

http://jackknight.co.uk/onlineshop/prod ... cts_id=168

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

straight cut gears or "crash box" good fo serious track work and race applications but really pissing into the wind here,but you aint gona drive round town easily if youre worried about ure box breaking how about getting a gearset shotpeened relieves any stress points and leaves you with your driveability

The only reason that the gears are normally cut on an angle is because they're quieter, but it also makes them weaker. There's absolutely no reason for a straight cut gearbox not to have synchro. Double declutching isn't that difficult, but it is slow - my mum still does it!

For a mini, I thought the only box to have was a Jack Knight dog box - now that is noisy!

ok, incase you guys hadnt noticed, this car is already likely not to be a town driver, its a 'fast road' car, ie, a road registered car that i can rape the shit out of, and know its not going to break.

deal is, i dont do things by halves, i know i dont 'need' a straight cut box, but really, why the fuck not.

only thing thats gonna stop me: cost

am really just asking how much its worth it, ie, how fucked am i if i get caught in traffic.

^^^ shit. Isnt that enough to turn you away? Thats stupid money for a box.

I recon you should recon your standard box completly and fiddle with the gears if you want. Make them close ratio etc. Maybe you can even go straight cut somehow here?

In short, helical gears operate quieter than straight cut. Straight cut will 'whine' the faster they go but offer both A. More directional application of force allowing for less power loss. and B. Higher acceptable loads until failure. Basically making the transmission stronger and more efficient. However though, like noted before, car manufacturers don't use straight cut due to the imense noise the transmission will produce.

To get an idea of a straight cut gear noise, many manual transmissions (especially the older ones) use straight cut gears for reverse only. Therefore, going in reverse produces a whine, but forward will not.

Haha, use all reverse gears