Chevette Conversion Questions...

CUL8R

Is the gemini wagon that far gone that it needs to be chopped up?? :cry::wink:

That does sound like the plan, except both the chevette hatch and the gemini wagon will have angle mounted shocks. You'd be able to do it if you find a sedan or coupe, but don't wanna go chopping up shit for the sake of it. That chevette forum that tortron suggested has some pics on it if you search. You can just weld in some steel sections to mount the shocks to.

Otherwise you might be able to chop the panels out of the piazza that you need, as those are vertical shock mounts.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe im picturing this wrong but, wouldnt the easiest way be to change the shock mounts on the diff and run shocks to the same place them went in the car originally.. I.e, change the diff rather than the car.

Yes the Wagon (and the Piazza for that matter) are that far gone ... The Piazza looks like a Open Wheeler - got Sandwiched between two HQ holdens.... and the Gemini has a Saggier ass than your Grandma :lol:

So you reckon my Idea for the diff would work (using piazza diff) ?

Am in two minds as to which diff to use:

The gemini - minimal modification needed - run same wheels & offset

The Piazza - better shocks & brakes - but more work...

Cheers,Chris :twisted:

Apparantly its only the manual twincam and turbo piazzas that had lsd's. I'm not sure how true this is however, as I had a manual twincam and it didn't seem very 'limited slip' at all.

The chassis in the piazza is very similar to a gemini chassis from what i know. Only it is longer and the car is heavier. To me that makes the chevette/gemini the obvious choise. That with the piazza bits in it.

Apparantly its only the manual twincam and turbo piazzas that had lsd's. I'm not sure how true this is however, as I had a manual twincam and it didn't seem very 'limited slip' at all.

LSD's can wear out tho and become an open diff.

• 2 weeks later...

firstly the radiator needs to be pushed forward a wee bit so no more latch,

the motor sits onto the crossmember but ditch the chevette mounts theyll rip in ten mins or solid mount it to get all the torque down,

gearbox fits in the tunnel but must relocate the shifter hole gemini 4 speeds are stronger than the five the gearbox mounts are a lil challenging but doable, as the gemi gearbox is 300 or so mil longer so strung up a mid gearbox mount to the chevette body,

driveshaft is a custom item remember the universal has sealed bearings so grease nipples are needed after welding it back up,

gemini or piazza diff will work just whatever suits piazza gains discs out back but no biggy piazza brakes are a straight swap apart from the steering tie rod,

any questions ask dont forget chevette has remote solenoid for starter so rewire for the gemi unit and i ran the chevette alternator

happy trials

Radiator has already been pushed forward, and widened, and yes no more latch...

Currently has some rather wide Ford Engine mount rubbers inplace, they are somewhat wider, and alot stiffer. But still the same thread :P:shock:

When you say mid gearbox mount, did you just bolt right through the floor with say 10mm plate to ontop or what??

Also another question, the 1600 5spd Box , will that bolt up to the 2.0 litre SOHC, Seeing as they are reputidly the same block I think they should, which also means that the 2.0 Conversion would be the same as a 1600???

You seem to be in the know, just making sure, that also the Gemini Diff will bolt straight up??

Cheers,Chris

the 1600 has a slightly smaller clutch an pressure plate but the ring gear is the same size an the splines are the same so grab a g200 flywheel an attack it with a lathe coz theyre a heavy bastard designed for utes,

the gemini diff does bolt in but you will have to sort your shocks out my chevette was a wagon so not absolutely sure on the turrets i do know the tops bang off them in the hatch if you get shock lengths wrong,

the gearbox mounts on a chevette sit about mid way down a gemi gearbox near where it can be split apart i made a cradle that bolted to the join in the gearbox using longer bolts nordlocks and a dose of locktight which seemed to hold together and then onto the chevette mounts on the body was a bit fiddly but my 75year old pop gave me a hand an said it was easier than doin ahead gasket

Diff is from a Gemini wagon, and the Chevette is a Hatch, why bother with the flywheel from the g200, why not just use the 1600??

Got a reasonably good supply of parts , 2 Chevettes, 1 Gemini Wagon, and Possibly 2 Piazza's... :lol::rolleyes:

Hmm, I have just had a thought, the Chevette, was setup for all the Piazza stuff, the piazza diff had been modified to fit the chevette, everything was left unmolested on the Chevette, the only strange part I have is a Gearbox cross member, looks reasonalby well homemade, and It sure as hell doesnt fit the 1256 Gearbox..

Kinda hard to explain what it looks like, but the rubber on the bottom of the crossmember runs horizontally, and has a "Channel" with a hole in the middle, which I presume is for the Gearbox itself. Does that sound like it may be already made up for the Gemini/Piazza box?

Cheers,Chris :twisted: