Retrotech Throttle Body Injection. Get rid of that Webber!

nismo.capri

Retrotechs R&D department is in the final stages of producing a kit that replaces a Webber DGV/DGAV twin throat down draft carb with an EFI throttle body from an EB falcon.

inlet01.jpg

I have been running this on my Esky Panel Van for a few months now and it's running sweet. I ran it on a std engine but just recently dropped in a engine with a lumpy cam, ported head big valves, flows and a Link ECU and it runs great on this as well. Sorry no dyno runs yet as I'm still trying to get the car legal but once it's cert'ed it will be getting a dyno tune.

The TBI unit has a built in fuel pressure regulator that's self adjusts relative to the pressure at the injctors so it will compensate for boost if you want to run a blower or turbo.

inlet02.jpg

I'm not sure of the injector size but there's plently of fuel for my NA 2L it peaks at just over 50% duty cycle. The Falcon puts out 160HP I'd think that the injectors would max out around 200HP.

It has 2 35mm throttle plates that open at the same time.

With the air filter it looks so much like a carb I've had people tell me it's not injected when they look under the bonnet, so it's ideal if you want to keep the factory oldschool look but get the benifits of EFI like economy and drivablility, it would be so easy to do it completly stealth.

The adapter kit will have everything exect the TBI.

Each rectangular plate is from 10mm Al.

Each Oval shaped plate is from 6mm Al.

All holes are cut thru.

Drilled, tapped, countersunk and deburred.

All cap screws supplied in Stainless Steel.

I got my TBI for $100.

I'm also looking at rebuilding a few TBI's which involes them getting stripped, cleaned, all screws replaced with cap screws and all the steel parts replated like the setup in the pictures.

The other parts you will need to make this run on you car...

Minium:

ECU to drive the injectors

EFI Fuel Pump.

EFI fuel hose (& return to the tank)

With the Ford Pinto I use the Hall effect Dizzy so that I have fully programable spark timing but you can just use the points setup.

Questions/suggestions?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interseting to see what you've been up to. I looked at injection on my V6 capri not so long ago. This was one of the paths I was going to go down. Another was mega squirt. A DIY system that you can tune from any lap top running windows 95 or better. So old school computers are fine. The only reason I went away from it was a friend pointed out that with TBI isn't a big step forward almost sideways. After all your still using a throttle body.

Not wanting to run you down I think this ROCKS. Just wonder what you think.

Yeah you would still need a throttle body. mega squirt is only single cycle or some such thing. I'm going triple carbs. Not that that maters to this thread.

But for those who want to know on thr dirty old ford V6 triple carbs gives the best results. Big holleys on they suck

The only reason I went away from it was a friend pointed out that with TBI isn't a big step forward almost sideways. After all your still using a throttle body.

yes but people spent a lot of time replacing bigger carbs. This is cheaper,

has bigger throats than a 32/36 plus you get economy and smoother power to boot. So for a budget upgrade its pretty good. Not to mention potential turbo/super charging. :twisted:

The only reason I went away from it was a friend pointed out that with TBI isn't a big step forward almost sideways. After all your still using a throttle body.

yes but people spent a lot of time replacing bigger carbs. This is cheaper,

has bigger throats than a 32/36 plus you get economy and smoother power to boot. So for a budget upgrade its pretty good. Not to mention potential turbo/super charging. :twisted:

I know what your sayingbut on the six three is better than one. Well thats what the dyno says. But yes the power is smooth and yes if I was going for a blower this would be the way to go. As for the triple carb root. Fiat uno are a very good sorce of webber. I got four for $200.

And more of a mission too to retune, and with some (microtech) you'd need to send it back to be re configured.

Just saying, from my experience, it pays to spend a little more and get better results quicker

I've brought a couple of Link LEM's for teh $400 mark and they have functions I don't use like idle and boost control. In fact RT is running one on his engine as well.

I agree that the latest ecu is usually the best (like any computer) but I'm a cheap arse and usually go for the cheapest part that will do the job :wink:

I like the tuff questions, fire away :)

1) This is bigger than a 38/38 webber in the throat because carbs need a venturi to create a negative pressure area to draw the petrol through. So in theory it should flow more air and make more HP than the 38/38 V6 carb..... only the dyno will tell that story!

2) Driveability, No carb can compete with the consistanccy and drivability of a TBI or MPI setup. No more pissing round with the idle and mix screws every few months. This starts every time cold or hot, runs fine when it's cold with out missing or lurching

3) Economy, I have no idea of the time frame but this will pay for it's self at some point over a carb unless you spend the savings but using the extra power :wink:

I know what your sayingbut on the six three is better than one. Well thats what the dyno says.

Actually the dyno is saying less restriction on the intake path is better, which is why Multi Carbs/TB's are always better.

This TBI setup isn't for making the max HP, you can pick the exact same holes in it as you can for any down draft 2 barrel carb because that's what it is. It's just that insted of petrol getting sucked through holes it's getting injected. It's a cheap easy high performance option for the guys who'd normally not bother with side suckers and go for a big webber.

A single TBI will never out flow a pair of sidies, a TBI will drive smooth crusing at low rpms even with a lumpy cam and it will give great fuel economy but wont out perform a pair of side suckers.

im pissed off, just went to pickapart the only throttle body there was off the engine, in the car. i was like MINT at the start, but then realised the fuel side was broken off :x would have been a good deal for $27 if it was sweet. managed to get me a free TPS and loom connectors though :lol:

nismo, do you need that cold idle shit on the side?