• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much is a small amount of oil? You do realise its british right :lol:

haha good call

Thanks heaps guys lol.

Not to much like 1-2 drips once ive stopped lol.

But yea one leak at a time, did the fuel pump leak, sump plug leak, and the sump leak now i don't know where to look, al the bearings and stuff are sweet so atm i aint that worried.

But Yes it is british :rolleyes:

• 9 months later...

Hey man. Love dolomites. Slant 4 is a pretty major slant! This is half the stag v8 is it not. Or am i completely wrong :P.

Good news that it wasn't a cracked head.

Cool to see a dolomite on here. Like them a lot. Good that you are keeping it going too. Nice one

Ok. I am an old cunt so perhaps ignore me but my advice would be: Do not fuck with this car.

In truth it will never be worth GT Falcon kind of money but it is a Dolomite Sprint. They were legendary in their time. There probably are not many left.

Being generous I would rate the Sprint in the same kind of company as a genuine Holden HDT Gemini (if any can find one of those with the 113hp(?) motors let me know)

I think you owe it to the world to not mess with it (lowering etc) if you can avoid it. They handled well at the height they came out at. If the suspension bushes and shocks are in good condition and the correct size tyres are fitted it will handle well again.

Just MTCW - but it would be a shame to see a genuine Sprint end up modified in any way.

It is your car and your money so I will never mention this again.

:D

EDIT: I now see that your previous update was November last year so I am probably too late. Oh well.........

In a response to the last two posts i have spent so long on this car to get it painted and running again.

I am leaving it as it is for now.

I would never put shome shitty rims on it.

The only reason the suspension has been changed is because the old springs, bushes, shocks were fucked.

And trust me it handles a fuck load better, i have driven a few of them around. and mine is ten times better now it is lower and stiffer,

The old shock we bent from a crash aswell so the car pulled to the right under heavy braking.

This thing is awesome to drive now, it is so tight on the corners and you can really put your foot down.

As we own 3 of these sprints, i know how rare they are and what people are prepared to pay for them.

The suspension for this car was brought in from the Uk from rimmer brothers, who made and set up this kit.

You can not buy the orginal anmore.

In a response to the last two posts i have spent so long on this car to get it painted and running again.

The only reason the suspension has been changed is because the old springs, bushes, shocks were fucked.

As we own 3 of these sprints, i know how rare they are and what people are prepared to pay for them.

Good shit :D

epic that you own 3. Fwoar

ghey about leaking water though. What next?

Good shit :D

epic that you own 3. Fwoar

ghey about leaking water though. What next?

Yea well i will check the compression in the chambers after i have had it running like last night then, from that i am gunna check the cooling system properly that the motor is getting cooled and the water pump is working right.

Then i may try a sealant that stops water leaks but i would say that this would be very unlikly.

It is alot smaller than before and is coming from a different place.

I will also undo the head a bit and make sure it is tourqueing up properly.

Then if this all fails it will come off and i will take it from there.

Man im fucked off about it aye, i was hoping the skim on the head would have fixed this problem.

Any thoughts?

Nice respone New Guy. Its your car and if you want to make it handle better and replace things with non original items to improve it then I think you should. By the looks of it you're not deviating far from original anyway.

I would have liked to put original parts in it but getting them original from the uk is the same cost as the Spax adjusties, which can be setup for the original stat, but what a waste of money i say.

I still have the original parts, if some old codger want the original parts when hes trying to buy it off me he can get nakeded it ain't for sale Yo.

Any thoughts on the head would be great.

Have you got antifreeze in the water? If so think hard before loosening the head as it is slipery shit and usually one wouldn't put glycol in the water until after the run in period and a re-torque. th problem is that if the head gasket does leak a bit and there is glycol in the system you sometimes won't be able to ever get it to seal without replacing the head gasket again.

55 ft lbs sounds a bit on the light side but not massively so. Given that it is an alloy head perhaps it is safe?

Lets hope the head is not porous. The compression test will be a good indication of a breach through the fire ring but if it is just the water jacket that is leaking (via the head gasket) it is a bit harder to spot.

A cooling system pressure test and a set of sharp eyes might be in order.

I spannered a bit on a TR7 last year - a very similar looking engine.

Well i got her out again tonight after work.

Checked the water level and topped it up a bit.

Got her warm checked for leaks, none to be found, went for a zapp down the road and back about 5 min drive.

Cam back checked the radiator was hot and it was hoses had prssure and there was no water coming out of the water pump seal where some times it has been when it gets hot.... good signs i guess.

Maybe the pressure was not there and the water level was a bit to low.

Shes outside now cooling down.

I don't get alot of day light so i can not see to much.

Gunna get a new Pressure tester, the one i have is shit.

There are some new pics in my project thread.

They seriously do not do the car justice,

It looks so sweet in that grass the front lip is about 4inchs from the ground..