New Guys 1975 Triumph Dolomite

Muzzie

Im at work now, so no pics. Will take some pics of the new springs and shocks before and after i put it on the car.

Hopefully everything fits! It should do it is made for this car lol.

And Cam i got it through Rimmer Brothers, i do not know of a Spax dealer in NZ.

Back to my previous post where i commented on my steering and the bent shock, spring that i pulled out of the driver side. This is because the car has been in a crash befor ei owned it and they did no replace the suspension, spring and then shock. So what the old gears did, when you braked hard and the noise of the car went down the car pulled to the right, this could have been because of the bent shock.

Hopefully a unbent straight shock will fit the car, im pretty hopeful and sure it will, this will make the car a hell of alot better and fun to drive than before.

Got adjustables and springs for the rear of the car aswell, will change when i have time, right now i just wanna get a Wof, 20 or so days left, hopefully go for a wof tmz arvo or friday.

that is if i get allt he work done tonight, also have to put the recond upperball joints in, and replace the driver side steering rack boot.

Hopefully a peice of Piss!!!!

Cheers

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the suspension, in the front in, new balljoints in and 2 new steering boots in.

Went for a short drive, drives and handles alot better, has fixed the problem of pulling to the right when you brake and go over bumps, so it has made a ok car driving wise a Great car to drive. Plus the car is alot lower in the front which makes it look a lil cooler i reckon. Took some pics carn't be bothered uploading them now so ill do it tomorrow.

Who do i go and see to have a them certed? Can i go to tyre master etc?

Need to get the front wheels balance me thinks pulls to the left a little bit but onli if you are not holding the wheel.

It is very very slight, the new springs and shocks has made a hell of alot of difference, small bumps and thinks on the road do not worry the car at all like it used to.

Went for a good cruise last night, alternator is not that strong when you have the lights on, even just on the low beam the battery drops below 12Volts.

Going to try tighten up the belt maybe it could be slipping a bit.

Car is pretty kewl to cruise in, seats are very comfy and is very smooth.

Going to fill it up tomorrow, see if it fixes the sender unit in the tank might just need a bit of a lube up with a bit of fuel. I am carring around a 10litre tank of fuel and a spare battery if anything happens. As the car has to crank over a few times before the engines fuel pump sucks the gas through.

So yea i am pretty happy with the car, goes well pretty quiet.

going to take the speedo out this weekend and give it a bit of a clean as it bounces around a bit and does not give a very accurate reading, and also get a digital temp gauge just to keep a better idea on the temprature as i do want her getting to hot.

fuck im lazy will try get some pics up over the weekend!

Hmmm sorry that was a long boring post, just pretty happy i passed aye.

Need to get the front wheels balance me thinks pulls to the left a little bit but onli if you are not holding the wheel.

It is very very slight, the new springs and shocks has made a hell of alot of difference, small bumps and thinks on the road do not worry the car at all like it used to.

Went for a good cruise last night, alternator is not that strong when you have the lights on, even just on the low beam the battery drops below 12Volts.

Going to fill it up tomorrow, see if it fixes the sender unit in the tank might just need a bit of a lube up with a bit of fuel. I am carring around a 10litre tank of fuel and a spare battery if anything happens. As the car has to crank over a few times before the engines fuel pump sucks the gas through.

going to take the speedo out this weekend and give it a bit of a clean as it bounces around a bit and does not give a very accurate reading, and also get a digital temp gauge just to keep a better idea on the temprature as i do want her getting to hot.

still running a generator perhaps? they're shit.....

adjustabels - I rekon it's just adjustable shocks/dampers - wont require just cert mang

still running a generator perhaps? they're shit.....

adjustabels - I rekon it's just adjustable shocks/dampers - wont require just cert mang

No its a alternator, what do you mean by this "adjustabels - I rekon it's just adjustable shocks/dampers - wont require just cert"

Lol, yea you can change the ride height by 1 inch, and also change the dampers from hard to a soft ride. I Think i need a cert?

Not that happy with the car got a pretty heavy clunking noise pretty deep in the engine, most likly to be a ball bearing of some sort, just if you accelarate hard you get a few clunks for a very short time lol. I don't like the sound of it at all. Got a oil problem around the spark plug tubes, just started and its pretty bad as the plastic caps at each end of the tubes do not seal as well anymore, should easy be fixed with some thin orings.

So a few problems have risen but its a 31year old car never had a rebuild, and has done 61478Miles, so it is probably time for a bit of tlc.

Brought some orings today, $2 each pretty pricey i thought lol. Didnt get any work done tonight though, away mostlikly the rest of the week so ill get it done sat morning or on friday night depending what happens.

These orings are to go around the seals of the sparkplug tubes that go down through the rocker cover to the spark plugs.

Hopefully this turns out to be the only oil leak, and there is no oil coming from around the head ect. Will get a new oil filter and do a oil and filter change aswell.

Well, Today i took the rocker cover back off, took the spark tubes out fitted the little orings,squezzed everything back together and got the rocker cover back on, and hay presto no more leaking of oil all over the hot stuff lol.

But not all is well, car is pinking, so the timing will have to be fixxed up and also there is still a leak of oil, dunno where how big or how small.

The pinking could be cause because of the 96 octane fuel i put in it so ill have to use that up and go to gull or mobile and get some 98.

Did about 200miles in the car today lol, goes pretty well.

I have plans to put in a fully recond engine that we have and a 4 speed manual gear box that we have, but i have just got it on the road so i like to enjoy it a bit before i do anything, am also thinking about spending some money on her. New manifold, carbs, cold air box, bigger radiator, vented disc brakes etc.

So yea, pretty shit update im kinder pissed and thought i better say what happen today lol, will take some more pics tmz and shiz.

Peace

• 2 weeks later...
gutting about the engine man!

hope the rebuild goes well....

gonna do any mods to it while it's in bits? lumpy cam or somethin to match up with those sidies?

tc2500 6cyl conversion perhaps ? :wink:

Lol, got a heavier cam out of another engine that was built to the spec 3

so in other words yes, relocate battery, fuel pump and new tank.

Depending whats wrong when i pull her apart ect.

All the gaskets i got are for the spec above, the race sprints so i think they should help a little.

I am also looking out for a new radiator and oil cooler that will fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Today i pulled the engine and gear box out with my oldman.

Took us about 4 hours or so, pulled the head off, gaskets been leaking water into the cylinders 4 and 1 i thinks.

Took the piston that had lost compression out, and between the rings there is aliminium which has broken up etc, this is where the air must be escaping the cylinder, and into the rest of the motor making it blow most of its oil out.

Going to find out if we can get it welded up etc, but if not we will be putting in one of 3 motors of my dads that have just found out we had, that are fully recond put in. So im not that unhappy, ill have a pretty sound car engine wise then hopefully.

The reason we took the engine out was that, when i went for the 2nd try for the warrent i let the car warm up for about 15mins as i washed it.

Was idling fine, so im on the way to the garage to get my warrent its about 1km away from me, and there was this not so nice sounding clunking noise.

I stoped and pulled over, the car stalled, i thought it could have been the gear box or sumthing, so i jumped out had a quick look and thought wtf.

Got back in and it was hard to start, i got it going and went to the warrent place and got the warrent, then on the way back to my work i got to a roundabout and had to stop, the car stalled on me.

when i got to work it stalled again, we thought the idle screws must have just moved or similar, so we speed up the idle and the car seemed fine.

But the loose in the idle speed was because of the lose of compression, in one of the cylinders as i found out 2 weekends ago.

So yea i am happy in a way that i might get a new engine, and it will have alot more power, as the car since ive had it on the road has onli been running on 3 and a half cylinders.

We are going to leave it a auto for now as getting a clutch for etc new foot pedals, are not worth it in my eyes, as to much work involved and im lazy, plsu i want it on the road asap, after getting a wof, reg and insurance does not come cheap as we all know, so a bit of a bugger in those ways but good in others, well be ready for the Summer!!!!

I will post Pic's Tomorrow night, engine bay , engine out head etc, in my project thread