New Guys 1975 Triumph Dolomite

Muzzie

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Lol, yea she was in a bad way engine wise, everythings getting done slowly as it breaks or i source the parts.

Body and engine a pretty good now id say, aswell as the suspension and steering.

Painting the Rocker Cover fluro pink.

As im being a real dick and putting pink neon in the engine bay.

If you have never worked under pink neon on a engine try it and youll find out what i mean.

HEHEHE

Got the Motor back on her, Bolted up ready to go.

Lube her up tomorrow fit all the water hose pipes, etc.

Fit battery, sort the timing out and see if she goes.

Lost a few parts today but i found them again, i had put them in very strange places.

Any how im pretty much ready to go.

Got some new spark plugs during the week.

Will get Oil, Coolant, Tans oil tomorrow morning.

Will try update with pics tomorrow but will most likly be during the week.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally after like 5 nights after work and 2 good days during the weekend, checking everything over and over again for why it would not start and a hour today i finally got the b!tch going.

OMG im so happy! hopefully will get some use over the summer etc.

Got a few problems, somethings wrong with the cooling system, and a small oil leak around the fuel pump.

Why it wouldn't start, i thought id try fix the fuel pump oil leak, as it would leak after turning it over a few times. Before i removed this i checked the float on the other carb for fuel. There was not alot of fuel sitting in the bowl.

I left it off, and continued to removed the fuel pump.

Finally got it off and i pumped it and it moved alot of fuel. i was like hmm ok there should be more fuel in the floats if its pumping like that. So i refitted it and turned the car over a few more times still no fuel went into the bowls. So yet again i took the pump off.

Then i noticed that the pump had been hitting against the block and this was alowing a gap for oil to escape and not letting the pump get a long enough stroke to work properly.

So i filed a bit off the bottom of the pump and refitted it. I had also remade a new set of HT leads and that is all. Turned the key and she fired up straight away OMg what a relief! There was fuel but just not enough, that would explain why it would run fully choked but onli on like 1 clinder with the starter motor. Anyhow its going again.

Except for the few problems that arose after a bit of a drive i am pretty happy it is going again!

Carbs need to be balanced etc, and the timing needs to be done proerly ive only done it static, man am i happy! It made no sense why it wasn't going

Was, thinking of getting the rear lowered a bit as there is alot of body roll and travel in the rear suspension plus it doesn't look kewl to me.

I would like to just put some lowering springs in the rear.

If i go to tyremaster etc, what should i expect to pay for springs and labour?

I'd say taking it to a place like tyremaster is a bad idea. what they would probably do is take the spring's out and cut them so there shorter = bad idea. then they'll probably charge you for a 'new set' of springs.

where abouts in NZ are you man?

if you want to have it done properly then i'd say your gonna have to go for a custom set of springs cos your car isnt 'common'

this can have it's positive's as theyre hardly any more expensive than a set of a well known brand(koni etc) but they are properly suited to your car and what you want.

So, depending where you are, there will be a place that can do it for you,

In which case, if you cant take the springs out yourself, then you'd drop the car there, they'd sort it out (would take longer = more$ labour.) but you may get better results as they would have a better idea of the origional ride height and so on

Im in Tauranga dude, yea id make sure i was getting new springs.

The guy there sorted out my adjusties, he put tthe springs on the shocks etc.

But yea who to trust aye?

My petrol tank had a leak and i fixed it up with some quik steel, but now it has started leaking again.

I thought i must have had about 20Litres in there or so, the leaks at the top of the tank by the gauge which im going to see if i can get patched up and fixed.

So i got two 22Litre Tanks off a marine mate, got some hosing and joined them together, with a hand pump to the main fuel line.

I took all the fuel out of the tank, was more like 48litres, ( The tanks only 57!). While i did this he made up 4 brackets to hold the tanks in place.

I took the old tank out and went to, hosing place and got some big arse hose and a convertor to change the big hose to smaller hose to fill the tanks.

Did this all today and it has worked out pretty goos aye, false floor fits nicely over the top of them both. No more leaks and petrol smells in the car for now. Will see what happens with my other tank.

No gauge at the moment so i havent solved that problem, i can just look in my tanks now. Before all i could do is just tap my tank but i was mega wrong with how much i had in there lol.

New Tank Setup is mean!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the spring issue?

• 2 weeks later...

Well i have clocked up 450miles now, and i did the first oil change this weekend, it started to change color a bit.

Been keeping it under 3000rpm but im finding it a little hard.

Not that happy with the rebuild still leaking a small amount of oil, making it so hard to find as when you drive it goes everywhere, head seems to be a bit noisy should have had that recond so im a bit gutted there.

Will most likely take the head off after summer and have it recond.

Installed a new water temp meter on the weekend so i have a better reading of that now, might install it sumwhere that aint on the dash so it looks more original etc.

And also it had its first taste of the mount! and it liked it, now i gota get some rolling rims that fit my current rubber.

Any ideas?