Lowering issues - Camber adjustment on geminis

mikuni

I took my car out yesterday and got pulled over. Its kinda low and had no reg but the cop was alright and just had a yarn to be about it and shit.

He said he pulled me over to check my steering and said that he can pink sticker me if my front guard touches the tyre.. Which it will as soon as I lower it properly.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how you can have the tyres inside the guards at the front and it still be 'legal'. Just enough to get away with it when cops pull u up is all. I'm thinking of putting larger steering dampers in to reduce the lock so it turns less and hopefully the tyres won't hit the guards, and getting this certed if possible.

I'm real keen to get it low and not be hassled by the cops.

Anyone else have any ideas of what I could try? (I know having a high car is the easy answer)

why would you give your self a bigger turning circle? sounds like a crappy way to stop hitting the gaurds. what about getting the gaurds flared?
I'm thinking of putting larger steering dampers in to reduce the lock so it turns less and hopefully the tyres won't hit the guards, and getting this certed if possible.

Don't wanna make the wheels turn more, thats just silly.

Yeh i'm considering rolling the guards a little. Good paint tho, It will probably crack. And I don't wanna put bolt ons just yet.

I hadn't even thought of camber tho! Crack up, you can get a little bit out of just turning the top ball joint around ay? I think i read that somewhere.

Might have a look at slotting those holes. Cheers dudes

id be careful doing the camber thing, whenever you start to camber shit, youll need new tires sooner. something you mite not wana be forking out for considering youve got low-pro 17's.

you can get the gaurds professionally rolled, people come to your house, put thing on wheel hub and does it, shouldnt crack paint unless your hardout stretching it.

id go that way first, they generally charge 50 bucks a wheel i think

id be careful doing the camber thing, whenever you start to camber shit, youll need new tires sooner. something you mite not wana be forking out for considering youve got low-pro 17's.

you can get the gaurds professionally rolled, people come to your house, put thing on wheel hub and does it, shouldnt crack paint unless your hardout stretching it.

id go that way first, they generally charge 50 bucks a wheel i think

17 inch tyres are cheap as chips these days, heaps of neg' camber ftw. 8)

Yea, right - New set every warrant? + Worse straight line handling?

The new tyres, because if you put serious camber on, (especially on low pro's) you'll be putting the same weight over about 1/3rd the contact area, your 15,000 km tyres will start lasting 5,000 each. Oh Yea, you lose straight line braking ability too....

I'd suggest getting the guards rolled. Will cost you alot less in the long run.

I'd roll the lip out of the gaurd's and camber the wheels.

Camber can be adjusted on the Gemini or Chevette by sloting the top stub axle ball joint holes.

Burnt Rubber, is thats safe/ legal ? Done it on either of you gems? You got me thinking now eh!

Matt

Yeh, it should be legal. Just turning it gets you a little but slotting may put a little more stress on it. I'm sure its safe and you wouldn't even be able to see that its been slotted unless you get carried away.

Anyway as far as not handling in the straight line, decreased braking and excessive tyre wear, we're talking about a gemini with almost no camber to start with. Its probably only going to raise it up to what most newer vehicles have. Not going 10 degrees or anything!

I've also looked into that guard roller. Theres only one guy that does it down here as far as I know and no hire places have the thing. I remember a mate telling me about it - bolts onto the hub apparantly. I think a little bit of everything is probably the way to go.

Cheers again for the input.

Worse straight line handling?

eeerrr??

as long as he didnt go completely silly then it would be fine, and the added handling in the corners (where it matters) would more than make up for it...

Yeah hard. Vauxhals handle real well to start with. 8) A bit of camber would be awsome.

I'd roll the lip out of the gaurd's and camber the wheels.

Camber can be adjusted on the Gemini or Chevette by sloting the top stub axle ball joint holes.

thats a bit ruff, not to mention making the taper useless. adjustable top arms arnt hard to make.

Um not the hole that the taper goes through the holes that the ball joint bracket bolts onto. The top ball joint on a Gemini bolt onto the top arm if you slot those holes you can adjust the camber just like the slots on an adjustable strut hat.