Getting springs made

mikuni

Ok, I'll admit it, I'm new to the world of buying coils. I bought "super low" Pedders once (when I was oh but a silly 16 year old) and it was a mistake that I knew straight away I would never make again. Lowered my car a pathetic amount and cost about 3 years wages at Pizza Haven! ($400)

Since that moment I had trusted makita, and cut springs have served me well. I'm looking now at getting some springs made up. To get my cut ones to a certable state requires shocks about this long [--------------] no shit I just can't get them.

I'm going to take my cut springs (which are the perfect height) to Springtown (free plug - good guys) and get them to make some with a good rate and a little bit of progressiveness so they remain captive with shocks that are a little bit longer than 4cm.

Alot of blabbing to get to fuk all, but they charge $300 a pair. Are there any other spring fabricators in the mighty H to the izzle?

I think Snells in Auckland are $100 a spring?

I'm worried the cabbages at Springtown will fuk them up and give me skylux springs back, but I guess that won't happen.

i got my gem ones made by snells in aucks cost $220 for the front pair... price changes on different springs.. 220 was gemini fronts and they made them excatly how i wanted was 5mm off at the end but i made it hard for them because i didn't give them the compressed height of the standard springs so they guessed and it was 5mm off. pretty darn good if u ask me. :lol:

Driftin, Me and zep wantt to do the same thing for out gems. How low does you gem sit, and what are rate options on them?

I haven't really talked to him about the rates yet. I'll get them quite hard.

They are for my vauxhall, same shit tho but it has much smaller bumps at the rear and is about 20mm off them and them bumps have been cut at the front and its about 10mm off them.

I'm only getting the rear done for now as I want to wait untill I get a new engine in before I get the front made.

We had a bit of a disscussion about it a little while ago.... check it out http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewto ... ght=#87702

Cheers man, yeh I was haven a watch of that thread. Pretty handy, has anyone looked into the ball joint situation yet? Be pretty keen to know if they will sheer off!

That other threads more about 'how low' than 'how to' if you know what I mean.

We had a bit of a disscussion about it a little while ago.... check it out http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewto ... ght=#87702

Cheers man, yeh I was haven a watch of that thread. Pretty handy, has anyone looked into the ball joint situation yet? Be pretty keen to know if they will sheer off!

That other threads more about 'how low' than 'how to' if you know what I mean.

well mine havent broken yet and been on the road for 18months or so on the factory ball joints.. (i still see the new owner around).

i would right a "how to" but theres way to many idiots out there that would do it and fuk it up and kill someone.

how you gonna cert a car that has 20mm bump clearance? you need 50mm clearance and then you still have to have 30mm clearance once the car is fully loaded ie. 3 fat mates in the back etc....

if i remember right i think my front springs were 190pd? or was it 170? or was that the factory?/ i can't remember but snells keep records for what they make cause there was 3 different types of springs in there book when i looked and none where like mine... weird

I've got a certifier sorted and I have been talking to him about what I'm doing. He said he checks that the springs are sitting tight and captive. He also wants 30mm travel before it hits them bump. But thats not clearance. I dunno its hard to explain but at the front even with only 10mm clearance before the bump it still has heaps of travel because of the geometry of the control arms. At the back I will probably just take 10mm off the existing bump to give me the needed clearance - he reckons aslong as the bump isn't all hacked up and rough it can be modified.. and it obviously still needs to function correctly.

Some of that stuff sounds a little dodgy to me but he's a qualified guy and he certs vehicles so I assume he knows alot more than most of us here.. haha