2L Turbo Piazza Engines

Gaz

Have found a 2l turbo Piazza whole car for sale. Heard Zep, mikuni and the likes talking about these into Gems, Vauxhals etc. As I do intend to own a Vauxhall or preferably a gem at a later date I was wondering if I should buy this now. I have no knowlodge of the engines have never even concously seen the cars so need some help.

- Whats involved in the conversion to put this engine in a Gem like zeps?

- Are the original Piazza RWD or do I have to source a new box?

- Are they DOHC?

- What size turbo?

- How do they respond to mods

- Whats the weakest link of the engines

That will do for now.

Couldnt find much on google but didnt look long. Did find that they run awsome boost compression of 7.9 : 1 and make 147.5 BHP @ 5400 rpm which sounds good.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah should have really just PMed Zep. But hey, now everyone can have a read.

Well the whole car is $300 ono. So id take the whole rear end. Seeing you say iots got an LSD in rear that means its RWD. If its as easy as a bolt in then I think Ill buy it and store it under house.

Zep where rya mate.

Right:

-The conversion into a Vauxhall (I think) is easier than into a gem, you will most probably need either the piazza or a gemini X-member tho... although I can't be 100% sure on this one. NightmareRacing on http://www.retro-rides.com has just put one into his Chevette Hatch, might be a good idea to have a look at his threads. One reason I think it is easier, is because the Piazza got a remote shifter and should pop up where the Chevette one does. The engine itself it pretty easy to install, only major mod is that the dizzy hits the firewall (in a gem) so you may need to do a little bit of massaging to get that to fit. Other than that, they are 150hp and do have some pretty good potential.

- Yep, as I said, the gearbox is all good should fit into the Chevette all good.

- They are 8v SOHC, so I guess you could compare them to say an older Mitsi turbo lump - this doesn't mean they're a bad engine tho, many people have had excellent results from them.

- The stock turbo is ok, but it runs out of puff at about 12psi. It would be a good idea to upgrade to a T28 or similar. Anything a bit bigger would do the job nicely.

- I have heard different things about modding the engines, IE: will be good with the normal stuff, porting, cam, bigger plenum/injectors. But you may need to be careful with the bottom end. I can't recall ever hearing anything amazing about the pistons, but in saying that, I've never heard of any huge disappointment with them either - just depends on how far you want to go I guess.

LSD will go into the Chevette, it has been done into many Opels and Vauxhalls and Geminis. People talk about cutting it down as it's a tad wider, but I think it can fit with out this, just giving you a wider track. UNLESS you happen to have stumbled across the IRS model!!

SO yeah, chucking a Piazza turbo lump into a gem is a piece of piss, its been done about a million times in aussie with some good results. There were a few cars at the summer nats with them in. I'll find a pic...

dscn09152tt.th.jpg

As you can see, I don't think he would have gone all out like that if it wasnt worth doing!!

I'd say for $300 grab it fast, it'll make a Gem or a Chevette go like a rocket, even stock. Let us know how it goes, I'd love to see this conversion done in NZ.

Sweet sounds easy. I think I will get it. Offer him $200 and see what he says if he still has it. Seems that If I get it and strip it down store under the house it will be sweet.

The guy said the engine just stoped working one day. If its seized or fucked it seems that its still worth $200-$300 for the front and rear brakes and LSD.

Damn already have 4 cars and now this engine is gonna make me put an offer on a gemini I know of.

Hope its a dohc engine. Will see.

Basically the mounts all mount up for a vauxhall tho is what your saying right. In the gem the gbox might need hole cut for and new gbox member made.

Just rang the guy. Its auto which sucks. What gbox can I match up with this?

Also he said it just stopped when he was driving up a steep bank into his garage. He said maybe the cam belt jumped off. Anyone know if they are valvesafe engines?

Also says it still goes but no power. any ideas?

It depends on what gearbox you want to use. The 4ZC1 Piazza turbo engine will mount up to heaps of boxes: Gemini 4/5 speed, piazza 5 speed, rodeo 4/5 speeds up untill about 1993. So if you wanna chuck it in a Gemini, you can choose to either use the Gem gearbox or cut a new hole for the Piazza one. Only short coming there is that you have to slot the gearbox x-member about 20mm as the gearbox sits back a bit further.

If it is the G200W twin cam, then you have to use the twin cam box, there are no other ones as the starter is on the other side. Beware these engines, even tho they are nice, 110kw N/A, the parts are hard to find and can be expensive, especially if you blow a starter or need a rebuild or what not.

But yeah, you said it before, $2-300 is worth it just for the LSD (only if its the turbo model!!) and disc brakes.

i've never heard anything hreat about the motors a few ppl mentioned to me the weakness of the head... they warp or something and the dohc and sohc boxes arn't interchangable.

i wouldn't think it would be worth it as a non runner unless you were gonna use the diff for yourself... but what do you do when you need parts for it?

I've put a twincam g200w in a chevette so I can tell you what to do there. I'm just not sure of the differences between mounting a g200w and a 4zc1.

If its turbo it will be single cam. Sounds like he may have blown the turbo while putting it under strain? explains it making little power but still running.

And you still need to change xmember and cut the floor out a little in a chevette. The remote shifter comes up where the handbrake is so i moved it forward a little.

When you say change crossmember do you mean I need to mod engine mounts?

I will be using the diff if I get it, Silly not too.

If its the turbo then thats no biggie at all. The turbo was going to be replaced for a slightly smaller unit anyway.

How do I test if it is the turbo when I go and look at it.

It all depends on what car it's going in to.

If it's a Chevette, you will most likely need to use the Piazza x-member and engine mounts.

If it's a Gemini, you can use the standard x-member and gemini mounts.

It's really up to you, there are many ways you can mount these engines.

The turbo on it is miniture anyway, I wouldn't want to go for anything smaller than what it has, upgrade is a must!

When you say change crossmember do you mean I need to mod engine mounts?

I will be using the diff if I get it, Silly not too.

If its the turbo then thats no biggie at all. The turbo was going to be replaced for a slightly smaller unit anyway.

How do I test if it is the turbo when I go and look at it.

sorry i meant gearbox xmember.

Gemi engine mounts on a piazza engine works in both chevette and gemini, the engine xmember is the same.

The gearboxes between the two are completely different tho so I'm not sure what the deal is here. I needed to fabricate a new gb xmember for my chevette tho, a gemi one might work?

Yeah I dont think I will take turbo apart while looking at car.

When upgrade I will go for a td05h of an evo 1-3 most probably or an s14 turbo. Not too big but alot bigger than whats on it.

GBox xmember is the easy one really so thats all good.

I think when I do buy a car for it to go in it will be a vauxhall wagon same as my orange one but will definatly have a gem front half. Or itll just be a gem from go. I like them better.