Head plane

cute wee gem

The flat face of the head. (the one that you bolt onto the block, top of pistons) Is planed to either make the compression higher or to remove a warped surface from the engine getting too hot.

It is done by taking a small amount of the surface of the head to make it all level again. (IF it isnt level it wont seal well around the headgasket)

You can only really plane, skim, shave the head a number of times before the compression gets too high and you will start blowing head gaskets because the compression will be too high. You can drop the compression again by taking some area out of the chambers in the head.

When I took mine in to be done, they removed the cam and the rockers and reset the valves. It's pretty easy to put back together, just match up your cam markings and chuck the block on TDC and you're sweet.

You might need to do some calcs first. You dont wanna go take a random amount off a head. Plus 1mm is alot and would substantially weaken the head surface.

You should really get the head planed and the porting done at same time so that the compression can be customised to what you want.

1mm off will take the compression from 9.3:1 to 10.3:1 near enough.

So not too high really. My ported 1600 head makes 10.4:1 compression. Id be more worried bout the surface with 1mm off. Might start blowing head gaskits.