gearbox conversion

RT

what do I do for a g/box?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. what do I do for a g/box?

• cheap, easy and weak type9?
    • cheap easy and 250hp steelcase?
    • expensive and cunty 400hp W57?

I'm not having much luck with this W57 conversion, after buying a W55 by mistake I thought I'd just cut my losses and buy my friends full W50 steelcase celica setup which is ready to go with all the bits..

but then I asked Jap parts specialits who said they have a dellow housing for the W55/57 to Ford 2L.

So I buy another gearbox, a 57 this time from kyteler.

Now I go to buy that bellhousing only to find out it's for a fuckin anglia to split-case toyota box. And the dude aint getting anymore in.

'Not touching em mate..' apparently.

So here I am with a nackered type9 in my capri and my garage full of goddam gearboxes.. I have:

A mint type9 Sierra 5 speed, a Toyota W55, a toyota W57, a RX7 5 speed and a Falcon 3 spd auto with a fucked kickdown cable.

I have now 3 choices apparent. Stick in the mint type9 and see how long it lasts (not long the way I plan on driving) buy/swap for my mates steel-case celica setup which would be an easy fit and comes with all the shit. Can handle 250hp with ease.

Or bend over and drop my pants for Dellow in Australia to ass-rape me for a bellhousing to suit the W57 box.

type9 is rated at 180hp

Steelcase W50 is 250hp

Alloy W57 is 400hp

right now my capri is makeing 235 odd hp.. but will soon be making around 260hp. So the W50 would be fine but on it's limits where as the W57 would be bulletproof.

Right now I'm thinking of cutting my losses once again, selling all my boxes and going for the steel case setup cos it comes with all the shit I need.

thoughts?? :?:(

Are you done making the pinto powerful?

if you are, maybe the W50 on its limit is the best bet. When it breaks, get it rebuilt stronger.

If you plan on making even more hp - grab your ankles. Uncomfy now, but if you will HAVE to do it eventually....?

weeelll am I done?

no.. It's 230hp and I'm totally aware that I have another solid 20-30hp just sitting there in the exhaust system which will be sorted very soon. Which would make it at a guess 260hp.

The W50 from what I have read can handle 250 'with ease' apparently. Which would mean 260hp would be fine for it.

Now, if I put on a larger turbo for 300hp.. it would be stretching it. But not too bad. People have used W50's behind 300hp V8's for years. Over 300hp and it is getting into danger zone though. I don't plan on making the pinto push 300hp.. I mean thats 3x it's factory output and it's a bit mean on the old beast. lol.

I'm running out of cash again.. the W50 is a good option at the moment. Otherwise it will cost $600 + shipping just for the bellhousing for the W57.. + clutch + modifications I'd be looking at well over a grand.

Where as the W50 comes with alloy bellhousing, crossmember, clutch, and driveshaft all to suit a Cortina which wouldn't be far off.

I sway both wase with ya mates set up and the expensive one.

Ya mates setup could be sweet as even with more power. But I think id bite the bullet and get the expensive one. The rest of the car is mean as. Dont let the gearbox let you down. Buy the expensive one which would last till ya done with the car. Might save money in long run kinda thing is what im getting at

I ain't gonna cosworth it.. hmmm, it's more like the W50 would be fine but the W57 would be awesome. But I've gotta pay out my ass for awesome. I've been trying to do the W57 for ages but it's a total cunt, and having the W50 complete setup right around the corner is sooo tempting.

Guest dreadedretard

For the long term the W57 would be mint coz then u can just do whatever u want with that pinto. crank it right up and just go nuts and know it wont fuck out. but then the W50 would be good coz its cheap, and easy and good if u plan to keep the HP the same.. Just think about it carefully!!!

well for staters this is about gearboxes not engines.. but just to entertain your idea for a second. Firstly I don't really like mixing manufactorers it's just my pesonal opinion they cars are cooler running their own engines.

secondly from what I've seen the 7MGTE is 230hp standard:

Engine Code 7MGTE

Engine Type In-line 6-Cylinder, DOHC, 24-valve, EFI with Intercooler

Year 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992

Displacement (cc) 2,954 2,954 2,954 2,954 2,954 2,954

Horsepower 230 @ 5,600 rpm 230 @ 5,600 rpm 232 @ 5,600 rpm 232 @ 5,600 rpm 232 @ 5,600 rpm

Torque (ft-lbs.) 246 @ 4,000 rpm 246 @ 4,000 rpm 254 @ 3,200 rpm 254 @ 3,200 rpm 254 @ 3,200 rpm

which is nothing that special for a 6 cylinder turbo in my opinion and I like the idea that my old 4pot iron peice of shit makes more power than that lol! In fact, it makes more power way earlier in the rev range and the toque isn't far off either.

Now I'm not saying that the 7MGTE couldn't be more powerful if it was modified but thats to be expected. Both being efi and turbo it's all about the bottle and the boost and power is as much as you care to spend.

Lastly, if I was going to go to all the trouble of fitting a inline 6 cylinder turbo engine into my car... we all know what engine I'd be choosing for for a factory 350hp and 500nm of torque! :P

DO IT!!!! Skip the pinto/toyota problem,

Mate up an xr6T and its 6 speed manual. Just get a wrecked xr6 and go to play :P no wucken forries eh!

Otherwise, if you arent going to up your horsies, go the w50. When (if) it breaks get it rebuilt stronger.

lol.. I just realised that in saying I don't like mixing manufactors that I am putting a toyota gearbox in and that doesn't seem to bother me. I guess it's different with gearboxes somehow.. :? well.. it's also about supply and demand. If I could get a Ford MT75 or a Cosworth spec Borg Waner T5 for the same price as a W series toyota box then I would.

um.. yeah nah I think I'll pass on the XR6T transplant for the moment. Doing that now would mean I wouldn't get to drive the car for another 4 years while I did it. Fuck that, by then I'll be 30 and the wife will make me sell it lol.

unless you all want to send me donations to do it? :P

If my type9 hasn't broken under 230hp when it's rated to 180hp. Then by good reasoning, the W50 probably won't break under 300hp when it's rated for 250. :wink: I won't be making my engine over 300 ponies, it's brown pants fast already.