what does my carb need done after adding k&n filter

Guest tinaboi

Guest tinaboi

hey i have a 1200 mk1 cortina and I just put a k&n filter on and some ngk plugs lookn for sum extra performance ,as ya do!(even on a 1200!!) and its actually lost power now when I put my foot down, do i need to re jet my carb or sumthing else or do i need a new carb all together? any help on this and some other ways of getting some performance out of a tiny 1.2 wuld be apreciated, thanks

Guest tinaboi

yea they make 1200,there isnt many of them around though. I assumed it would have been the lack of gas as when i drive with the choke on abit it goes back to normal, I tuned the air/fuel but didnt solve the problem. how much does it cost to get a carb re jetted? or shouldi ust do it myself?

Guest WESTCORT

i dought u need to get it rejetted, it will more than likely be running lean after u added the new filter. play around with the mixture screw some more, you want to screw it in untill it gains the most revs, then when it reaches this point unscrew it as much as possible (probly not alot) without the revs dropping. so you got it running lean best

have you got the k&n in the stock aircleaner assembly? cause if you have vacuum secondaries you will need to keep the cleaner assembly so there is a little restriction to cause vacuum to open your secondary.

this happened with mine but your set up is probably different.

it wont cost you anything to try if this is the case and you may be suprised.

Guest tinaboi

nah the filters not in the original filter assembly, i had tryed it in there because i thought maybe it was getting to much hot air just sitting on top of the carb but it made no difference, i took it to the local carb guy he said iv tuned it right but the k&n filter was to thick for my car and not free flowing enough and that a paper filter would be better, i kind of doubted that so went n got a k&n restoring kit. it helped a tiny bit but still have the same problem.