bout togo ..AUTO

RT

Ok check this out.

We were having a few beers in the workshop today and came up with an intriguing prospect!

...I think the capri needs to be converted to an automatic.

now I know how this sounds and can hardly grasp the concept myself but it all makes sense on paper. Yeah, I always thought of autos as nanna contraptions but all serious drag racing cars are automatics.

The points to consier are:

A: I'm cooking clutches like breakfasts.

B: I'm about to break my 5speed type9

C: 1st gear ratio is still no good.

D: Loosing far too much time of the gear shifts

D: the car was always designed for street cruising and drag-racing not track work. Currently I can't do either the way I want to be.

This sings out an automatic high-stall torque converter transmission with a B&M shifter!!! I don't know why we never thought of it sooner. It will solve all the above problems and make a much nicer cruiser and a much quicker drag car. Best of all if I use a C4 it will be cheaper than the Celica box I was looking at fitting. Will cope with everything I can chuck at it which means I'll throw a 80hp nos system on it and I'll have 300+hp in a 1000kg car which = fast.

would be mean as, easy cruising, and as you say, better drags

fully manualised C4 with a "converter brake" i think they're called? (diverts hydraulic pressure so you can launch hard or somethin.....)

would be mean, C4s are strong as a mofo when modded. Standard I dunno, my brother lunched a couple in his XD with a factory C4 and 302clevo, then again, it took a beating to do that (1x factory box, 1xfully rebuilt-) 3rd box is still holding up to my knowledge....

do it man, if nothin else, it'll be faster on the strip, esp with the power you're running :D

a high-stall torque converter allows you to stand on the brake and it holds the engine at a given amount of revs, this makes the car 'squat' and when you let go you're off. Boxes are fully adjustible and I can get it set up exactly how I want it..

I starting to really like this idea... :)

but the problem is, I don't know what kind of trans to use... anyone heard of a C4 bolted to a pinto? the factory 2L autos are C3 and that just won't be strong enough.. but if the C3 and the C4 share the same case then fitting a bellhousing should be simple..

Only thing that will be gay....The sound when it changes gear. I had to live with that for a year, mind I only had 50hp

Thats easy to get around, just before it shifts you throttle off to induce the shift then throttle on again. Sounds just like a manual then. Not ideal on the strip though.

Yea thats what I was thinking aye, like a good Supra or Celica gearbox wouldnt really cost that much more, then just get a H/D clutch of some sort and you should be sweet. They have pretty good ratios too I hear....

Like I mean autos just take all the fun out of driving I reckon haha. :P

Guest dreadedretard

what about shift kits? they put them on falcoons and shit and they make shifts faster and make them sound way better! no idea what the fuck they are but i think they are good!!!! 8)

ive got a hi stalled and shift kitted auto in the corty. the hi stall is a little iffy for round town use as they tend to slip at lite throttle openings. not sure about the c3 but i had a shift kitted c4 in a mk3 4.1 corty i used to race in the 90s. it keeped blowing the standard box so i put the c4 in was haeps stronger but took a little more hp to run and slow the car down about 1/2 sec over the 1/4. definatly b the way to go if your serious about the drag strip. go for a stage 2-3 shift kit as a full manual valve body is not as nice to drive requireing manual shifting all the time[no drive mode] my box has a stage 3 kit and a 3000 rpm convertor and will chirp the tyres on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift on anything over 1/2 throttle. under full throttle it shifts so hard that the glove box lid flips open and steering wheel centre cap flys off :lol: youll need to get a custom convertor specially made for your combination as a 3000 stall on a v8 would turn into a 1000 stall on a 4 as the 4 does not have the torque off boost to slip the convertor. you also need a good trans cooler if using a hi stall as the extra slip also makes extra heat.

Guest WESTCORT

i agree with what has been said about the cost .. cant think of a box that would bolt up or go in cheaper than a celica.. supra will mean bigger tunnel mods than the celica but better ratios... but then again your still gona cook clutches unless you go along the lines of a 3-4 puck paddle clutch but then that will be chicken mc testicles to drive on the street...

sure the auto sounds better in theory but you have to ask yourself if you would be kicking yourself after the conversion when you miss some good shifting and clutch action..

to be honest would the power its got there really isnt an easier solution or a cheap one. then again you would soon get used to the rough clutch and be able to drive it almost as normal after a while. but if i were in your position id keep it manual, im sure most others would agree

Nah man it is cheaper, it doesn't sound wack, and no way do you button off! the whole idea is so you can keep your foot up it all the way and shave seconds off your drag time. The only difference will be less bov's hissses untill right at the end when I do button off.

A C4 trans is cheap as, I'll fit it with a high-staller and a b&m shifter and using a C3 bellhousing it will fit up to the pinto.

You've gotta understand how much of a bitch it is to have so much power and such a heavy clutch with useless gear ratios. It will be heaps more streetable and faster with an automatic. Anyone who's been in a fast V8 with an auto will know.

The only draw backs if for cornering and handling, hill climbs etc but thats not what the cars for anyway so...

Guest WESTCORT

i suppose if your that keen on lower drag times then its the way to go... i just hope the clutch fumes havent all gone to your head! :lol:

and just remember lads , if god had ment us to drive manuals he would have given us 3 legs :D nah seriously RT if the conversions easy enough go for it. the only drawback about having an auto is that they are heavier and they take more power to run than a manual. but just crank up the boost another couple of pounds will fix that. will definatly get off the line easier with an auto. most of the super qik drag rotas are running autos now they are not so hard on the rest of the drive line either eg driveshaft /diff