Turboing the celeste

lowlancer

Right, after much deliberation, I've decided I want to turbo my current 1600 engine, 4G32.

What I want to know is the main things concerning turbos and carbs, as I'll be running a single 32/36. There's a number of fellas in Oz who have done this successfully, there was even one on here a little while ago.

Efi is out of the question due to unwarranted cost. I won't be running massive boost, my aim is for 150hp at the wheels, or thereabouts.

Any info relevant to this would be appreciated. I'm looking at RT mostly and zep, one cos RT is the master of turbos, even if he does have EFi, and zep is doing a similar thing with his gem.

Please no spamming guys. (muzzie and DVLRCR)

Mods please delete irrelevant posts. Cheers

I wouldn't rule out EFi my good man, you never know when the right car might come up that has been scraped or crashed and it's too fucked externally to repair but the engine is good. You'll have less problems with an EFi Turbo setup than you would with a carby turbo.

I was looking for a Carby-Turb dizz for zep @ the local wrecker and came across a 4G something something :lol: Fuck I'm useless, crappy Mitsi designations :P ANYWAY!, it was a domestic market Galant coupe Turbo, granted, the turbo and exh. manifold was gone, but the intake and injection setup was still there, this particular wrecker is a bit of a ripoff by my standards but you Northerners don't mind payng higher prices :D It was a SOHC engine as well, what does your engine look like? because I tried to find pictures of the engine in this car and came up with NOTHING similar to the EFi (EGI? EGC? ECI? whatever it's called) The car is pretty cool looking though, mighty fucked though... externally, as in, not worth resurrecting.

Yeah 4G63 came RWD for a while.

I want to keep the current engine because no one, ever, ever, in the world of NZ does them up, and really for no reason other than they're putts as standard. Also the saving of not having to get a new g/box etc is a plus. I could always adapt an EFI setup to it, similar to what K series engines got.

Hehe here's where I come in handy.

You do realise there was a FACTORY ECI Turbo 4G32 right?

It was in the '84 to '88 shape Mirage Turbo. It's FWD, but the inlet manifold and ECI gear will bolt on, you would have to make a custom exhaust manifold though for your turbo, as the FWD one wouldn't suit. You would probably have to do that anyway if you were going carby turbo.

The 4G32 isn't a particularly good engine to turbo. The SOHC and 8 valves really lets it down. It has a really large stroke compared to the bore too, so it wont be a high rev (and I mean 6000rpm) screamer.

You would probably be alot better off dropping in a 2L Starion 4G63 motor, alot easier to acheive 150hp at the wheels.

The 4G32 ECI Turbo engine only made 88kW anyway, and that was on 7.5psi of boost. I doubt you would be able to do better on turbo carby (I assume suck-through too).

Oh, The early model Cordia Turbo 1.6Ls had a 4G32 with a suck through carby turbo setup - it was horrible. It would make a BBQ of it's turbo every 50,000kms or so, and the exhaust routing was stupid. Again, the 4G32 really isn't an ideal engine to turbo.

The 2L SOHC 4G63 should bolt up to your current manual gearbox too.

ive seen a mitsi sapporo coupe [like galant ] with a 1600 turb i thought they were all 2 litres so they are out there. adapting another makes manifold and injection set up wouldnt b too hard have seen a pinto with toyota manifold and turbo grafted on in mk1 esky rally car. prob just have to buy a link computer to make it all go

Like what? a 4G37? 4G33? that's the only choice you have to 'bolt on'.

a 4G37 head has a different combustion chamber design (more wedge shaped), and the pistons on a 4G37 have raised tops, with indents for the valves - the 4G32 has recessed pistons tops, and a more hemispherical cylinder head.

A 4G37 head bolted onto a 4G32 will lower the compression ratio drastically. Perfect for adding a turbo. You would probably need to shave the head a bit to get it back up to around 8:1.

The ECI wiring loom isn't that hard.. it just comprises of the ECU, loom to the ECU and sensors, injectors etc. You'll need to upgrade your fuel lines, and add an electric fuel pump.

I think you would probably have a more reliable (and more fun) engine if you kept it N/A, and just do mods like lumpy cam, twin sideys, extractors, stiffer valve springs, balanced bottom end, higher compression etc.

ive been told that the 1600 (4g32) head bolts onto the 4g63.i was lokking into this to raise my compression.i dont see why it wouldnt work the other way.

Slap the 4g63 head on, and if you cant find the turbo 4g63 head then just get the carby one and put a turbo cam in it.The heads are the same apart from the cam

You may find that putting the 4g63 head onto the 4g32 block that it might lower the compression too.Thats good for boost :)

Ive been looking to putting a turbo into my EX lancer, but went with the 4g63 n/a.I figured that if i want a turbo i will just use the starion block, vr4 pistons and rods, vr4 head and all the other crap.i still think that the sound of a n/a thats been worked and ringing out 8000rpm is better than a turbo.

I mean everyone has a turbo right?

Leave it to the evos and subarus

Yeah I've been investigating, and I think I'm gonna work the 4G32 for a little while, nothing too serious, and then transplant a non-turbo 4G63. If you could record as much as possible about modding yours, it'd be a great help to me! :o Like problems and things you came up against. Only if you want though!

sorry OMG pickle, I don't know the slightest thing about the 4G32 or Celestes.. so I don't know if your engine can cope with forced induction or how much boost and potential problems etc..

but I do know that it's expensive and you know how I feel about carbs and turbos..