car shat itself

Guest WESTCORT

Guest WESTCORT

Well i was just on my way home coming up the hills and all of a sudden my car starts pinking badly (duno what you ppl might call it but it can happen if your timing is too far retarded or running too low octane gas etc) well anyway it started pinking real bad and shit then all of a sudden i lost heaps of grunt and it started to slow, so i dropped into 3rd and it was ok for like a second but then pink'd horribly and then i was slow enough for second which wasnt too bad, only JUST driveable but then 2nd started dieing aswell and the car started to jerk violently, then i dropped into first and it started to "pink" but it was driveable.

so i limped home and managed to make it, because by this time i was angry so just clentched my teeth and mauled through.

No idea why this happened really, my car had been "pinking" slightly latly but nothing too serious, thought it was running quiet well.

Today i adjusted the points so maybe sumthing went wrong there?? but like i say i drove it all day after without any probs...

If anyone can help me figure out what the heck the prob is, please let me know.

Stick a timing light on it. Is the dizzy clamp tight? if so, is the rotor snug on the dizzy shaft? Has the spring come off the mech advance weights? How good is your fuel? I has a rotor move on the dizzy shaft once. It gave it about 20 degrees advance and the bastard wouldn't start.

ExACT same thing hapens to me everynow and then itll just lose some MAJOR power and mine sounds like its running on three cylinders....ill stop it for a few hours and itll fix itself ...damn screwed up esky 1300 engines lol .....ive done the timing heaps and its still alll good so its a loss to me what the hell is going on ....oh and my car runs on gulls 96 fuel which i heard is pretty good ...and if im feeling really generous 98 from bp ... my dizzy is all nice and snug so is the rotor havent checked the wieghts and im not going to cos there a perfectly fine 1600 watin for me to pick up

No, the condensor is the little capacitor on the side or close to the distributor.

The VR (voltage regulator) is either internal (part of the Alternator) or external (a seperate unit) that will plug into the loom and is likely to be situated somewhere close to either the alternator or the battery.

my eski was doing pretty much the same thing the other day. You should check the points out again, it'd be a good idea to remove them and make sure they're all clean and that there is no oil on their faces, then put them back in and reset the gap. It worked for me anyway :)

Also if they have done more than 10 000 km you should replace them, same with spark plugs. :wink: