Nicks gtir(s)

nick_m

I’ve summarised a hell of a lot. It was way more of a shit fight than I originally anticipated. Some of it self inflicted. Just one of those cars that while you were fixing one part you’d look across at the part beside it and realise that was fucked too and have rebuild that haha

Have also realised I have F all pictures of it or working on it. There’s about an A4 page of mechanical work left to get a warrant. Once that’s sorted ill just use it for a bit before doing coil overs and 300zx 4 pot brake conversion spot light grill and as well as a few other things. 

but getting pretty fizzed about getting this in the road. Missed this summer which was the original goal. So will aim to get it legal over winter 

• Like 9

Thanks. Yeah was definitely worth the extra effort. 90s cars have all taken a hiding under there. So tidied up the rails and sills and under sealed it all. While ot was ant the paint shop And got all the bolts rezinc while it was all apart. Haven’t had motor and box out of this one so that sort of lets the whole lot down at the moment. 
but I’ll tidy the engine bay the best I can and maybe have a crack at the remainder of it one day

• Like 3

Nah wouldn’t have been ours. I’m not in ferrymead. Although one of the guys a few driveways over managed to burn down a couple of brand new units a while back

This was the only full GTIR ive owned, bought for 650, sold for 6800.  Had the umbrella too..... Dont think it lasted long after i sold it to some bogan down Whanganui way, according to carjam.

IMG_20131116_110937.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Nice. Yeah there was a patch there where you couldn’t give them away. probably a terrible idea for a project car haha. Wasn’t till I got into this I realised how hard it is to find parts for them that aren’t fucked

• Like 1

Even in 2014 it was hard to find some parts, this car came with no rear interior, had top mount but no surround which is crucial to make top mount work.  Factory airbox for a GTIR is like rocking horse poo as they all had pod filters fitted and are bespoke for GTIR.  Got the spot light grill on tardme for $150, was another GTIR collector planning on bidding but forgot, he said he would have paid up to 1k for it at the time.  Then I sold the car with the grill on it.  Last rego and wof was 2014 so no idea what became of it.  Didnt get another wof after i sold it.

• Like 3

This was my one. Sold it in 2017 for what seemed like bugger all. Then Covid hit in 2020, and the reality set in that I was never going to justify spending the money they were now commanding on another. Gutted I sold it, as I loved the heck out of it. Shouldn't have listened to the now wife.

Great to see another still alive and kicking, with a bit of love given to it.

11.jpg

• Like 6

Rad. Good to see a few others had them and I’m not the only one with problems haha

Really looking forward to getting this one on the road. Last WOF was 2009. It turned into one of those projects where you spent twice as much and three times as long in it as you intended. 
Will be a cool little weekend car 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Truenotch said:

Nice! It's about time you had a car for yourself again.

90s cars are pretty oldschool now eh?

Yeah guess they are now. Probably means that I am too haha

• Like 1