Rotormotors' 1990 FC Rx7 Brapta$tical coupe

rotormotor

Have a few specific rotor engine rebuild  questions/queries seeing its my first  rebuild.

Plates ported, bridge secondary, extended primaries and they off to get resurfaced and hardened.

Existing rotors off to get balanced.

New Apex seals, S6 corner seals/springs and Rx8 front and rear stat bearings.

O ring kit weeks away from Japan.

New rotor bearings (can't remember FD or Rx8) 

Since decided to replace all oil controls springs and seals, and side seals where clearances are checked.

Suggesting new high pressure Rx8 oil pump.

E shaft balance but if I decide to go lightened flywheel, need Rx8 E shaft and counter weight.

Gonna add another heafty chunk of change if I go this route, any thoughts if lighten flywheel is a no brainer?

Cheers.

• Like 2

you aren't making sense here

"E shaft balance but if I decide to go lightened flywheel, need Rx8 E shaft and counter weight"

get your existing rotors, shaft and front + (new) rear counterweight and send off for balancing as one unit after any machining you want to do. You dont need an rx8 shaft

how much are you taking off by surfacing plates? if only a small amount you don't need to harden again. if youre taking off heaps, its possible the plates arent fit for purpose anyway.

• Like 1

Plates lightskim only before hardening and I questioned needing Rx8 e shaft rather then reuse mine if fit  lightened flywheel and counterweight...he's ported the end plates so clearly must be fit to use as nothing negative been mentioned.

He said halfpound lighter and when i decide my direction as you say those components need go off to balancing.

O ringkit ex japan weeks away..rest of seals/springs arrived today along with a $1.6K pricetag :eek:

I see billy hols latest YT clip shows a gold LHD Rx2..owner made a few pressed Rx2 boot floors, one of them was yours?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dabuzz said:

Just use your existing shaft, don't worry about being lighter, it's a street car, you need torque 

I assumed a done thing when engine open & plan to lighten flywheels, thanks.

Think I regret not doing the flywheel thing?

Yip, that the route Im taking now abeit using my original shaft.

Having never build a wankel but knowing enough to be dangerous, I'm getting more imformed daily it seems.

Builder has account at M&M racing and NZperformance Palmy will be the Link ECU hookup venue.

If your looking at doing some upgrades on the gearbox to help it last then i would look at getting the gears and shafts super finished.

from what i know it was invented by NASA and is used on items under high stress.

many racecars and bikes get it done on engine gearbox and diff parts. standard practice on high end racecar stuff.

but gets done often now for things that get pushed to their limits.

im not sure if anyone local to you does it but there is a crowd in auckland that does it. Morgan engineering in penrose.

i have personally not had it done but seen the results of it done.

Gearbox shop I dropped it off at tried the upsell by showing me a polished gear compared to standard factory, explained the parts are placed in a "tumble dryer" like machine with a media I assume.

I don't thrash my cars, so not really required as Mazda did a pretty decent job of it 30 years ago.

I rather spend on essential bits required.

Ballpark half a grand

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you're vapour blasting, you wont need to coat in anything else, the process leaves the finish very resistant to filth, if just bead blasting then a light coat of matte clear helps.

paint everything else in high temp black, and it will look tidy enough.

Be mindful that as you are not modifying too far, that once the beautiful clean painted block goes back in, it gets covered with ugly ancillaries, wiring and hoses etc that will do no favours for aesthetics, so no need to over think it.

• Like 2

Not vapour blasting new housings so hopefully they not clash with the vapour blasted cast pieces. From the factory fitted 13BT, Im deleting all the emission gear, installing FMIC, new ally radiator, deleting AC, deleting clutch fan for electric fans so much more the engine be seen and rewire with new ECU.

I think it be worth adding some details so for a change I can leave bonnet up when attending carshows.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looking forward, any recommendations Electric fans for radiator, FMIC kits.

Likely battery moving to the boot.

FMIC I chosing whether I buy bends, joiners, pipe core and create a frankinstein myself or buy a spendy $1000NZ+ kit from Japan adding GST and shipping..or cheaper  unnamed brand from AU.

• 1 month later...