Honda engine sealer

Tiger Tamer

I need to reinstall the main water pump housing and they don't use a gasket. I see there is a sealer made by Honda called Honda bond HT. Do I need to use this or will any good RT sealer work just as well ?. What ever has been used seems fairly well bonded to the aluminum so I will have to be careful not to damage the mating surface.

Is copper coat good to use on the bolt threads with aluminum or is there something better I should use ?

Cheers

IMG_0510 sm.jpg

3 bond 1215 for the win, not cheap but worth it. OEM spec for Toyota/Honda etc total bastard to get apart again if you need to.

https://www.repco.co.nz/car-care-panel/adhesives-sealants/gasket-cements/threebond-high-temperature-rtv-silicone-liquid-gasket-250gm-grey-1215-250/p/A1130561

I have found that hylomar required an absolutely immaculate finish to get a good seal, due to the fact it's non setting and pretty thin. The tiniest nick or gouge and you need to find something with a bit more goo to it. Disassembly a breeze generally though.

• Like 6

Yeah I didn't have much luck with Hylomar and coolant tbh. Used it on a thermostat housing and it leaked almost straight away (yet its doing a good job of sealing my cork sump gasket...). That threebond is the utter bees knees (its OE Mitsubishi too iirc), but I've also had pretty good luck with Permatex blue rtv (its what I ended up sealing the aforementioned thermostat housing with and it's mint).

• Like 1

On 01/05/2023 at 16:47, Tiger Tamer said:

I need to reinstall the main water pump housing and they don't use a gasket. I see there is a sealer made by Honda called Honda bond HT. Do I need to use this or will any good RT sealer work just as well ?. What ever has been used seems fairly well bonded to the aluminum so I will have to be careful not to damage the mating surface.

Is copper coat good to use on the bolt threads with aluminum or is there something better I should use ?

Cheers

Loctite the bolts.

I have a water blanking plate on my k20, and lost 1 bolt, and had 2 back out (out of 4), there is a lot of vibration with these engines (granted the blanking plate is also not designed great either), I was lucky as the blanking plate runs orings but it could have been a lot worse.

• Like 1