5.0L SBF oil filter problem

Tiger Tamer

I thought I would give the Tiger an oil change since the oil is getting dirty and I always change the filter as well. It doesn't get used that often so it's been a couple of years since the last change.

I drained the oil and removed the old filter and no oil came out, it was bone dry and as clean as new, so it has never had oil passing through it. For some reason the filter is being bypassed. It has good oil pressure, so I don't think it has caused any damage. I am getting a sickening feeling that there maybe something wrong with the pump as I suppose there is some sort of bypass in it.

Any thoughts welcome.

tiger fuel inj.jpg

IMG_0417 sm.JPG

IMG_0418 (1) sm.JPG

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

There's usually a bypass (in my experience) at the housing that will start bypassing the filter if the pressure is too high. The idea being if the filter is clogged or collapsed the oil just goes around it

Just a spring and a ball behind a bolt head most of the time. Might have a weal/broken spring

1 hour ago, tortron said:

There's usually a bypass (in my experience) at the housing that will start bypassing the filter if the pressure is too high. The idea being if the filter is clogged or collapsed the oil just goes around it

Just a spring and a ball behind a bolt head most of the time. Might have a weal/broken spring

It looks like the pressure relief valve is part of the pump so I will have to drop the sump and remove the pump. The vave is held in by a welch plug which makes it trickyer to replace.

I dropped the sump and pulled the pump and the pressure relief valve seems to be fine. It's all very clean and the spring is fine so I think it's OK.

Luckily it is a easy job to remove the sump as there is nothing in the way. I used a high torque starter which is smaller so I didn't have to remove it either. Which is all good because most things are a battle to work on with limited space.

Maybe it was just a bum filter. 

I am sure Beer will help. 

IMG_0433 sm.JPG

• Like 3

On 28/01/2023 at 04:33, Nominal said:

TBH I wouldn't use a K&N oil filter on anything.

/lingpost

Likewise. Don’t need to be fake to be crap.

I’m struggling with the idea that you can run the engine for two years with good oil pressure and the filter remains dry.  I guess this engine must have an external bypass? All the engines I’ve ever worked on have relied on relief valves within the filter canister to bypass the element if it clogs. This means no oil in the filter =no bearings left.

As the pop pressures on the internal relief valves are at least 1 Bar I assume your external valve must be at least that, so pretty amazing no oil has even reached the filter…. Most unexpected!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, VitesseEFI said:

Likewise. Don’t need to be fake to be crap.

I’m struggling with the idea that you can run the engine for two years with good oil pressure and the filter remains dry.  I guess this engine must have an external bypass? All the engines I’ve ever worked on have relied on relief valves within the filter canister to bypass the element if it clogs. This means no oil in the filter =no bearings left.

As the pop pressures on the internal relief valves are at least 1 Bar I assume your external valve must be at least that, so pretty amazing no oil has even reached the filter…. Most unexpected!

The pressure relief valve in the sbf engines is in the oil pump itself and if the filter clogs' then it activates and lets the oil bypass the filter, which keeps oil to the bearings. Since the anti drain back valve in the filter wouldn't open it activated the valve which saved the engine. I'm glad the pressure relief valve worked for over 2 years. Survived a bullet I suppose, so sort of lol.