Trailer tandem leaf spring geometry

keltik

Was this;

spacer.png

Planning on making it this;

spacer.png

Ride height is similar between the 2 setups.  I understand the correct way to set this up is to have the spring eyes above the equalizer bar but this introduces a few problems.

1) The axles would need to be underslung or replaced with gull wing type to clear the frame.

2) The rear spring eye hanger (to the left) needs to be moved 10mm further back... Which would require notching the crossmember it's currently mounted in.

3) The front edge of the equalizer has reduced articulation due to hitting the crossmember mounted next to it.

Thoughts on doing it the easy way vs. doing it the 'right' way?

Not overly relevant but the trailer frame bends downwards towards the rear from the equalizer bar hanger.  So the front spring front eye is mounted a bit lower

I think you would find the springs will find a way to be above the equaliser, probably with a bang.

If the axles were underslung and the springs above equaliser, what is the ride height then?

If the braked axle was underslung, spin it around (left side becomes right side) then your brake brackets should be back to the same position. (Edit; looks like you already did this) 

The front spring shackle looks like it would go up inside the crossmember?

• Like 1

spacer.png

Had to notch one beam but welded the spring hanger into the beam as well as the chassis to add a little strength back. I'm sure I'm worrying about nothing.

Had 5mm height clearance going under my car port with the old springs.  Stay tuned to find out if I can ever take the boat out again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ok so I found marks on the trailer frame where the front spring hangers had been previously so welded the new ones into that spot. 

Eyeballed the spring length and after welding was maybe 5mm out from where I wanted to be on one side which means the shackle is a gnats pube away from the crossmember at full compression.

The other side was 15mm out meaning the shackle hit the crossmember at half bump travel.  So had to grind out the welds and stick it in the right spot.

Thoughts on adding a bump stop? Or some kind of rubber cushion

I guess I won't know for sure till I hit some speed bumps.  The new style hanger for the equalizer bar had a piece of angle iron welded in to limit travel.  Since I reused my original one - I don't have this feature.

Pic for Fred. Only going to hit this position with all of the trailer weight on the front axle (curb or start of a boat ramp).  Shouldn't happen on level ground unless I've done something very wrong.

spacer.png

Now to deal with the weird ancient American hubs that have a sight glass and fill plug to run the bearings in an oil bath.

• Like 2