Suspension - Starion strut modification / coilover options

tomble

Yeah you can set any suspension up wrong or right though. With either method. If you have a suitable main spring and keeper setup, I don't see the harm in moving that up and down to change height. Not an expert and no plans to be one. When you can't get off the shelf options for a platform though, you have to come up with your own solution. Sometimes buying a few pairs of springs, likely custom made, isn't suitable for the wallet. 

You basically said why it's a bad idea in your reply "if you have a suitable main spring and keeper." Ergo, the platform and vehicle ride height is set via suitable spring. 

Engineering your own solution is even more of an incentive to get it right, when you order a Fortune Auto setup for example, you have a choice of spring rates and lengths.

Both total length and spring platform height adjustments are important. The height that the bump stop limits the travel is something that many people overlook or ignore 

I've always found it a bit odd that MCA is so anal about not adjusting the base height, when the setting required can be so different depending on what wheel and tyre combo, suspension design/type. I'm guessing it's them trying to stop people who have no idea what they are doing from fucking things up   

I've had a couple of cars set up as per their instructions come in for cert that had basically no travel because the owner had adjusted the spring seat down , it didn't rub sure, but it also had about 10 mm of bump travel. One was hard work because the owner didn't want to change anything "because mca had set it up and they are experts and know everything"  

A lot of common aftermarket adjustable shocks don't have enough travel to be messing around with spring platform heights much at all 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Snoozin said:

You basically said why it's a bad idea in your reply "if you have a suitable main spring and keeper." Ergo, the platform and vehicle ride height is set via suitable spring. 

Engineering your own solution is even more of an incentive to get it right, when you order a Fortune Auto setup for example, you have a choice of spring rates and lengths.

We can agree to disagree. What length / spec springs do you have in the starlet? Project photos don't work now for me to look. But I assume you don't have keeper springs if you have the most suitable springs. I can't remember if FA ones are 150mm or 200mm (the normal ones MRP supply). How did you determine platform height if adjusting it is such a no no? Pretty sure you would have used the platform to provide some of the height setting for your car. The whole point of adjustable platform is that you can have the springs setup as needed, then move change the car height independently. Multiple ways to lower a car, none of which make the other obsolete. If you don't want to make use of the platform adjustment, you wouldn't buy suspension with it one would assume. To me the body adjustable platform is just another lever you can pull to get the required results.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bling said:

We can agree to disagree. What length / spec springs do you have in the starlet? Project photos don't work now for me to look. But I assume you don't have keeper springs if you have the most suitable springs. I can't remember if FA ones are 150mm or 200mm (the normal ones MRP supply). How did you determine platform height if adjusting it is such a no no? Pretty sure you would have used the platform to provide some of the height setting for your car. The whole point of adjustable platform is that you can have the springs setup as needed, then move change the car height independently. Multiple ways to lower a car, none of which make the other obsolete. If you don't want to make use of the platform adjustment, you wouldn't buy suspension with it one would assume. To me the body adjustable platform is just another lever you can pull to get the required results.

5kg Swift springs in the front, I forget the length, no keepers as they are quite a long, soft spring. Fortune Auto offered me a range of insert lengths with varying stroke etc, so I was able to work out where it needed to be to get enough droop, a good ride height and a good amount of bump travel. Bonus for being relatively compliant in a light car. I have used the length to even the ride height, but if I wanted to go lower I can drop the spring platform and still retain captive springs at this stage and not compromise bump travel.

• Like 3