Tortron's 1985 DR200 *they call me mello yello*

tortron

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I ended up with

1 complete 1985 DR200 with a vin tag and lots of new parts and dodgy brakes a leaking carb

1 85% 2007 DR200 with no brakes and a leaking carb

4 additional 80s frames

And enough parts to make one of those frames into another complete trail bike, minus brakes 

IMG_20201220_144454.thumb.jpg.b5fd327abc0a7a5d0fd536866577e34e.jpg

Plan so far is

Put some lights ect on the 1985 and register it again. 

Strip the 2007 and put some parts from that into a 1987 frame and end up with an identical blue and yellow trail bike to what the 85 is now, less vin.

Keep the kick/electric start 200cc engine for some other bike, who knows where I'd find one with no engine tho.

Sell off the remains to farmers nation wide and PROFIT.

• Like 6

Been buying up new lights for it, cheaper to buy new lights with E marks than it is to buy used ones it seems.

Took it apart today to see what I'm dealing with. I expected the loom to be cut up, but all the wires are there and heat shrink over the ends and tied out of the way. Amazing

And all the bolts have anti seize on them

What kind of world is this!

IMG_20201220_145259.thumb.jpg.d69befb290163b9684d122b38a22e387.jpg

IMG_20201220_145249.thumb.jpg.9ed33293f47c4a34a0942c73896facbb.jpg

Wired up a good battery while the supplied on charges up and I'm good for headlight and Speedo lights. Dug the horn and bracket out of the multiple parts bins, rebuilt the horn and got it working and have hooked up the rear brake switch. Going well.

Bike has a pumper flatslide carb on it which should be good when it's not leaking, probably the float height as the guy said he rebuilt it. Over summer refresh here I come

• Like 9

yeah mate they always had disc front and FULL FLOATER rear suspension that i always lol at

i assume you mean next year cos i dont see any events for december.

old mate was gona ride it in VMX i believe. DRs get a slow pos rap, but with a decent carb and exhaust they are pretty alright. might put my big cam in it for lols/ fuck yo valves

pg17_900.jpg

so friggan rad dude

• Like 2

He was using a stock cam apparently (think suspect it isn't and was swapped by a previous owner, I'm sure the stock one doesn't max out the head lol)

But yeah, decent carb is key. Thumpers love pumpers

I also have some Honda forks for more travel and some remote Res rear suspension

I don't know anything about vmx but it looked like there's a sub 250 class

20 minutes ago, tortron said:

He was using a stock cam apparently (think suspect it isn't and was swapped by a previous owner, I'm sure the stock one doesn't max out the head lol)

But yeah, decent carb is key. Thumpers love pumpers

I also have some Honda forks for more travel and some remote Res rear suspension

I don't know anything about vmx but it looked like there's a sub 250 class

Over the last 10 years I've owned some real piece of shit bikes, but my DR250s took the cake. The stock stator/CDI were the worst spark generating team ever created. I really hope the 85 DR200 was blessed with points? 

P1020128.jpg

• Like 1

lol no, cdi all day man

but i believe the dr250 was 6v and the stator was wired different

apples and gala apples man

* also based on the gn250 engine/400 engine so totally different family of engines. just cos its a suzuki and a DR doesnt mean its related apparently lol

GN400s had shit cdis too

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tortron said:

lol no, cdi all day man

but i believe the dr250 was 6v and the stator was wired different

apples and gala apples man

* also based on the gn250 engine/400 engine so totally different family of engines. just cos its a suzuki and a DR doesnt mean its related apparently lol

GN400s had shit cdis too

Unfortunately the DR250 was 12v, '2 phase', I tried to do a GN250 conversion to mine, in hindsight an entire GN250 engine swap would have been a winner. The DR400 was 6V though. 

My wife's smuggest story is about how she tried to convince me to keep my (then only year old) DR-Z400 instead of taking on a DR250 project to save money. 

• Haha 1

oh yeah, looks like some american ones were 6v then, i recall the gn400s were too and any surviving ones have stuffed cdis. I have not seen any complaints about the DR200 based engines having stator or cdi issues. can swap them with gn125 stuff tho, i think theres some issues when using a dr125 cdi but i suspect the gn125 is the same as the dr200 

def. the swing arm on yellow bike doesnt have any mounts for a chain guard (but i think only a requirement if have a passenger? dunno, why argue it i guess) eitherway i needed a 2nd swing arm to end up with 2 bikes. might end up with the idiot lights off that one too, as yellow bike only has the indicator lamp on it (The other ones are just black plastic stamped like a lens. wierd man, not even see through, why not have a high beam light in there)

Plus i need some oil on the floor to keep the dust down eh

• Like 2

Pulled the carb out

looks like its a Mikuni TM33 (is the throat measured different than just the diameter? its like 29mm across internally but i couldnt see anything that looked identical to it. All the other measurements match a tm33)

Float was set at about 14mm, conflicting info online with some even saying 17mm. i set it at about 15mm and now its all good with no leaks.

fired it up. wants the cables adjusted i think, i also dont know anything about double cable throttles, but i assume this ones got too much play (after i took it off probably so not surprising) 

radical

• Like 3