twin charging layouts

gmaslin

Just thinking about some modern twin charge implementation ideas

Could use H bridge canbus modules to control some e-throttles to phase in/out the supercharger and turbo completely separately. 
Have a plenum with the supercharger directly attached, and an e-throttle ahead of the supercharger. 
Then have a second throttle body on the plenum that has air come from the intercooler / turbo without anything to do with the SC.
Have a MAF on both pipes and IAT in the plenum.
This way you can help make a smooth transition as the turbo spools up, and so you can do boost control knowing just what's flowing through the turbo rather than combined MAP signal value.

Although electronics budget already blows this out of the water / cant see it being cheap in any case.

@gmaslin your first homework assignment is to find out what model of supercharger it uses, and its displacement per revolution.
It might be hopeless at anything beyond its job as a miller cycle unit. It looks absolutely tiny.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the clutch's i've seen on factory superchargers are a on-off type of deal, I think any pulsing of this signal would cause the clutch to die very quickly... I see the s/c as being a restriction even when it's turned off and free-wheeling so I would use the wastegate(on cooler piping) to bypass the s/c which will also help with the transition as it will open more and more as the turbo really takes over.

If your seriously considering 10k revs and 400hp (atw?) then I would recommend doing the calcs for air required at engine for those specs then look at comp maps, the G25's claim big numbers but real world seems to require high pressures to acheive... however the 60mm comp wheels are generally torque monsters for their size so if you can get the flow to match then it'd make for a nice driver

• 3 weeks later...

Mighty car mods and haltec likely have a series or 2 coming up on modernizing their Nissan superturbo micra/mira? thing which will be worth a watch as a tech thing will be very cool.

Of Interest to me as well as id like to do build myself a l67 holden v6 but keep the supercharger and add a turbo or turbos.

Screenshot_20200905-094836_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

I dont recall if I've posted in this thread before, or what I said if I did. (Cbf rereading it) but my limited understanding is that you need to intercool the charge between the turbo and the supercharger. And the supercharger needs to be geared so that the pressure ratio is in its efficiency island. (The sweet spot on its compressor map) the blower just takes air, and compresses it/multiplies the atmospheric pressure present in its intake by whatever boost ratio its geared to. Our atmosphere is like 14.7psi. So if the boost ratio is 1.5, you'll see 1.5 times atmospheric pressure, or 7psi of "boost" but if a turbo/turbos are poking 10psi above the ambient atmospheric into the intake of the belt driven pump, then itll multiply that by 1.5. 14.7+10×1.5-14.7=22.35psi "boost" (mathematically anyway, real world figures may differ due to a number of variables)

Also turbo sizing needs to be correct for your engine displacement, multiplied by the boost ratio too. So say an SR20, with a blower pushing 7psi of boost would need a turbo sized for a 3ltr engine, as the volume of air being moved is 1.5 times NA

*disclaimer, the preceding  might be completely incorrect, and I'm only too happy to be proved wrong by someone who knows better

• Like 2