NickJ

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Some years back i started a 1600SSS project. Sold it unfinished but learned a lot in the process. I machined up urethane bushes for the mount points of the rear crossmember - on the advice of a guy who'd rallied them back in the day. Supposed to help a lot.

Being an engine man primarily that was my first priority. The bronze gear on the oil pump drive is of course one to watch. I was given a pile of heads amongst which was a US emissions 1800 head. With steel sheet inserts in the exhaust ports even. They're supposed to stay hot and burn off what's uncompleted combustion. I was told that this head is the one to port as once the inserts are out, there's more material than the usual to let you get a better shape. Duly done. The valves in it were maybe 1-2mm bigger than the 1600 head.

1600 block - for race class eligibility reasons - 1mm o/s with flat tops. Kelford cam same as Noddy Murdoch's 240Z. Good springs etc. Plenty of time spent setting up the cam folowers too as should be done.

I also found a dogleg 5-speed. A spare from a classic rally guy. It had the period mod done of altering the leverage bits to shorten the lever movement between gears.

240Z rear drums.....yes, I found a pair. 260Z front calipers and discs. 

Never ran it. Sold with unfinished bodywork to a couple of locals who wanted a Targa car.

Nice to see one still running. I think I've spotted yours a couple of times around ChCh.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/07/2021 at 11:56, GregT said:

Some years back i started a 1600SSS project. Sold it unfinished but learned a lot in the process. I machined up urethane bushes for the mount points of the rear crossmember - on the advice of a guy who'd rallied them back in the day. Supposed to help a lot.

Being an engine man primarily that was my first priority. The bronze gear on the oil pump drive is of course one to watch. I was given a pile of heads amongst which was a US emissions 1800 head. With steel sheet inserts in the exhaust ports even. They're supposed to stay hot and burn off what's uncompleted combustion. I was told that this head is the one to port as once the inserts are out, there's more material than the usual to let you get a better shape. Duly done. The valves in it were maybe 1-2mm bigger than the 1600 head.

1600 block - for race class eligibility reasons - 1mm o/s with flat tops. Kelford cam same as Noddy Murdoch's 240Z. Good springs etc. Plenty of time spent setting up the cam folowers too as should be done.

I also found a dogleg 5-speed. A spare from a classic rally guy. It had the period mod done of altering the leverage bits to shorten the lever movement between gears.

240Z rear drums.....yes, I found a pair. 260Z front calipers and discs. 

Never ran it. Sold with unfinished bodywork to a couple of locals who wanted a Targa car.

Nice to see one still running. I think I've spotted yours a couple of times around ChCh.

Do you know what happened to that car? There is a surprising number of them still registered, must be even more hiding away, hopefully its still alive?

I'm expecting to revisit the urethane cross member bushes when I remove it, no doubt they won't look too healthy!

So many options with the heads, did you put the larger valves in or were they standard larger in that head?

Still haven't got a clear idea on the engine build, have put it to one side as I focus on the body work.....

For future reference, we have discussion threads for builds, this one is here:

Keeps a good flow of builds and we can spam the daylights out of each other with plenty of space!
(Hopefully a mod can shuffle these over?)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...