302 Windsor Ignition Timing

chasinthemirage

I'll photograph the dizzy and manifold tonight. The manifold is a Weiand but I have no idea what the distributor is, it hasn't got points though so I think it must be aftermarket.

46 minutes ago, yetchh said:

Yeah I'd yank the dizzy at tdc firing #1, set it so the rotor is on the middle of its travel clockwise/counter from any interference then bang the leads back on in the required order.. then at least you can advance/retard as needed.

This is essentially what I've done, refitted the distributor and moved the leads to suit and it started and idled semi smoothly. I have just found a timing pointer so all going to plan I'll install that tonight then warm it up and try to properly set the timing. Fingers crossed its more straightforward from here haha

13 hours ago, chasinthemirage said:

Righto, so I had a fiddle with the motor tonight, even more confused than I was before. I pulled #1 plug and removed the rocker cover. Got #1 cylinder to TDC and the valves on the rock and found that the timing marks on the balancer are miles out. Marks on the balancer at 10 o'clock instead of 1 so I suspect the harmonic balancer might be off a later engine with the timing marks on the left instead of the right. I then removed the crank pulley and refitted it 45 degrees around, the slot on the pulley now lines up with one of the bolt holes on the block so I at least have a rough idea of where TDC is.

Once I'd done that I then removed the distributor cap and found that the leads were fitted two positions out from where they are shown on the diagram. With the leads in the correct location as per the diagram I can't align the rotor with #1 contact without the dizzy fouling on the inlet manifold. What am I missing here as it seems weird that the dizzy hits the manifold?

#1 valves on rock? Thats not #1 firing tdc, thats #6 going by the firing order

• Like 1

Does the pointer have the timing marks on it or is it just a pointer? At least now you know where tdc is on the pulley you can approximate where 10-12deg is.. what style of dizzy is it? If it's one of the no name hei ones bin and get a branded one, will eliminate a few potential issues..

• 2 weeks later...

Been flat out the last couple of weeks so haven't had a chance to update this. Installed the pointer I bought and found that the bolt hole I was using as a reference point was pretty well spot on. Warmed the motor up and set the timing to 10-12 degrees advance with the vacuum unit disconnected. Runs a million times better now, accelerates without missing/flames etc so actually driveable now. Still haven't got any photos as my phone's having spazz. Few more things to do once it comes back form the panel beaters and then maybe I'll actually be able to go for a decent drive. Thanks for the help everyone.

• Like 3