Toyota spindle/hub compatibility

Ash Kelly barr

So I've had a wheel bearing go on my aa60.

Hubs fucked and need anouther.

Are most of the spindles the same or are there different sizes/shank pitches?

Can I simply bolt a hub over from a Cressida or do I haft to swap the whole strut?

As for what happened

Bearing disintegrated in great succession on the motorway, nearly wrote the car off when it spun across three lanes and narrowly miss a little old lady.

Managed to pull it together and drive it home at 30kmph

In driving it home the chase welded it self to the spindle and the wheel rotated on the hub surface.

Had someone look at it who said the spindle should be serviceable but the hubs long gone and I need to source anouther.

In the mean time a super good bloke as lent me his corona struts to get a wof and run around on witch is epic.

Even if it is now jacked to fuck in the front haha

Can I simply bolt a hub over from a Cressida or do I haft to swap the whole strut?

You need to swap the whole thing, bearings are different sizes so hubs arent interchangable.

Obviously need to do both sides as suspension geometry is different.

• Like 1

This might have been a good time to replace the bearings... 

Wheel bearings are giving a bit of grief. Tightened them up and the grease caps leaking and throwen grease all threw the centre caps.
Front rights squealing and the grease has gone hard and black so think it's shot.

Will repack them next weekend..

u5eckoqo.2gg.jpg
  • Like 7

This might have been a good time to replace the bearings... 

Yeah I know, as soon as that started happening actually I booked it in with a bloke for the following Monday.

Made the mistake of "oh one quick drive down to the next off ramp to pick something up won't hurt"

Ok so bearings and struts are all different between models.

I'm told x7 chassis struts are the same so I guess I'm on the hunt for a whole assemberly.

We don't think hubs off anouther XA6X might be the same??

You cant mix and match hubs and struts.

Look for AA60 or ST141 struts and hubs. end of story.

Coronas are just as common as cressidas etc so why would you bother with any other option when there's a common car available with identical suspension to yours.
  • Like 1

Had a Liteace do this to me and that put me in a ditch, scared the shit out of me.

ST140 same as AA60 so replacements will go straight on and your springs will go on to.

If you want the larger Cressida spec brakes and shocks then use the struts from a RT140 (18RG engine) or TT140 (3TGTE engine).

MA60 or GA60 are unique to them and the GZ10 or MZ10 and not suitable for the Carina.

In all cases the 0 at the end of the model code will be a 1, 2, 4 or 6 depending on number of doors and trim.

• Like 1

Your bearing fucked out so bad that it caused you to lose control and spin across 3 lanes..

Then you drove it home?

Jesus.

Yeah managed to pull it together and ended up parking in a road works bay on outside of the western.

Then made freighting dash across 3 lanes not able to go faster then 30kph to get off at rosebank.

Drove it back 30kph the whole way with hazards on, slow, tedious, and some what scary.

Had a Liteace do this to me and that put me in a ditch, scared the shit out of me.

ST140 same as AA60 so replacements will go straight on and your springs will go on to.

If you want the larger Cressida spec brakes and shocks then use the struts from a RT140 (18RG engine) or TT140 (3TGTE engine).

MA60 or GA60 are unique to them and the GZ10 or MZ10 and not suitable for the Carina.

In all cases the 0 at the end of the model code will be a 1, 2, 4 or 6 depending on number of doors and trim.

Awesome info! Much appreciated!