Large diameter boss mount steering wheels?

ThePog

As per a suggestion in my bus thread I want to make the steering wheel on the bus removable.

The shaft spline looks like it will fit a standard Nissan boss kit and there are add ons that will make it detachable, but I am struggling to find a steering wheel big enough that is a standard boss mount...

The current wheel is 430mm diameter and the bus has no power steering so keeping it big diameter is pretty important.

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

If you can get a detachable boss kit easy enough why not machine up an adapter and bolt on a triumph 2.5 steering wheel good condition ones are easy to find as everyone swaps them for smaller wheels. I say bolt on as they run 6 bolts 2 per spoke.

• Like 1

So the wheel has been sorted thanks to ToTT, but now i have run into an issue with finding a boss kit.

I bought a standard Nissan one, 36 spline/16mm but this is too small for it. It is definitely 36 spline, but the shaft is more like 17.5mm. The closest I can find is a landrover discovery one with these specs, but i can't find one on TM, although i have not yet rung Repco or super shit.

I have also rung a couple of truck parts places, but no go.

Any suggestions?

So the wheel has been sorted thanks to ToTT, but now i have run into an issue with finding a boss kit.

I bought a standard Nissan one, 36 spline/16mm but this is too small for it. It is definitely 36 spline, but the shaft is more like 17.5mm. The closest I can find is a landrover discovery one with these specs, but i can't find one on TM, although i have not yet rung Repco or super shit.

I have also rung a couple of truck parts places, but no go.

Any suggestions?

Yea I talked to the cert man about just this, he says no problem in principal. i have a lathe so can sort it out if done this way.

However it does not look like there is heaps of meat in there, but it is a bit hard to say. It would be useful to do it this way as the boss has a couple of split pins that do the indicator return.