Digital display

Ashkellybarr

So I've been looking into getting a tablet to be able to cycle through my gauges to see what my motors upto.

Mainly cause I don't want a bucket load of guages and have my car looking like its out of 2fast2furious.

So I've been looking into an independent system using said screen....

http://www.mindkits.co.nz/store/p/7149-Serial-Graphic-LCD-128x64.aspx

How ever, this would require me..

1 buying and installing more sensors, trying to get graphs for these sensors to then do the coding for the read outs.

2 Doing coding

3 Another loom

So I've now been looking into a read out through the link G3.

The best option I've seen is to leave a laptop plugged in.

A small tablet with windows and USB could do this easy.

Now for the next hurdle,

I need it read what it needs to run plus more.

This being...

Oil pressure

Oil temp

Water temp

Water temp for the intercooler

I feel as though I won't have enough input on the ECU to do this though??

Any input/thoughts/info would be much appreciated

• Like 1

or something like this,

Best thing is you can data log it aswell.

http://www.14point7.com/products/idash

Seems cool but after getting all the sensors it'll add up to around 500.

I know that's not much but it's 500 that could go else where

Might be able to pick up a second hand display and logger for the link for that price

With the Link anything that has an input/output can be logged - you wont miss out on info if you just roll around with the laptop connected.  You could look at upgrading the G3 to run on the G4 firmware as its a relatively cheap upgrade and among other things the datalogging is considerably better. Ive setup fuel pressure and oil pressure into my Link (G4+) and its all on screen either via laptop logging or via internal ecu logging for download later.

• Like 1

With the Link anything that has an input/output can be logged - you wont miss out on info if you just roll around with the laptop connected.  You could look at upgrading the G3 to run on the G4 firmware as its a relatively cheap upgrade and among other things the datalogging is considerably better. Ive setup fuel pressure and oil pressure into my Link (G4+) and its all on screen either via laptop logging or via internal ecu logging for download later.

I did wonder about this.

Ecu's already got good maps but I don't see why I couldn't copy them then update to G4 and copy them in.

As far as I'm aware there's some things that won't move over so would still need to set some things.

I'll plug it in and see how many inputs I've got free.

It's looking like I'll get a tablet with windows on it and load up nothing but the link software to save on space/processing, and maybe save some background things onto a USB and leave the tablet in permanently.

I wrote some code to read all the sensor data from slacker.cams Link G4, and converted it all to ELM327 so you can display it all on Torque or something else on your tablet. That way you can use a tablet as your gauges and change stuff around and set warning lights etc real easy.

It's by no means finished, but it rans cam race car dash for a season without TOOO many failures :P

Used it as a stand alone thing in Daves 626 a few weeks ago to read sensors and output to the tablet to check wideband 02 in the car.

Happy to share the shit i have if you know your way around a microcontroller

• Like 1

^ sounds pretty good Ned! Its where Link are lacking a bit, sure they have the LCD screen you could buy but using a tablet etc would be more popular.  From what I hear they support the windows tablets but not Android/Ipad.  

The G3 > G4 conversion is fairly painless but there are a few tricks to it.  For one you have to manually copy over the maps making sure you have the resolution the same - you can later add in extra resolution and interpolate to fill the gaps.  Its well worth it though.

I wrote some code to read all the sensor data from slacker.cams Link G4, and converted it all to ELM327 so you can display it all on Torque or something else on your tablet. That way you can use a tablet as your gauges and change stuff around and set warning lights etc real easy.It's by no means finished, but it rans cam race car dash for a season without TOOO many failures :PUsed it as a stand alone thing in Daves 626 a few weeks ago to read sensors and output to the tablet to check wideband 02 in the car.Happy to share the shit i have if you know your way around a microcontroller

This sounds awesome man!

^ sounds pretty good Ned! Its where Link are lacking a bit, sure they have the LCD screen you could buy but using a tablet etc would be more popular.  From what I hear they support the windows tablets but not Android/Ipad.

Yeah that what I figure. Why pay +1000 for a pidly lcd screen when you can spend less and have a bigger full colour screen that can be touch screen to flick through the guages and data log pages.

Possibly even incorporate a lap timer onto the screen