Suzuki F10A fuel problems

Seedy Al

Hey guys, mild problem with my carry truck

Havn't been driving it much since I got my carb on there, but on the short drives I have done, seems pretty good.

Then last Friday I thought I would attempt faith and take it down the motorway for the first time, after chucking 35 beans of 91 on an almost empty tank.

Basicly all was going well for a while, slash 10 min of 80km driving, and then it just studdered and totally lost power, foot flat proved the same, so down shifted and slowed to 50, where it picked back up and I continued on the side of the road at 50 till I could get off.

Sat at the end for a while and headed back to the workshop on the other side of the motorway. was doing about 70 and it did it briefly again.

Since then, have had it do it to me twice around 30 to 40km.

Currently I have not been in a position to be able to switch it off when it does it to check stuff over.

But, I was checking out the fuel filter, and noticed that when its all primed its only about 1/3 to a 1/2 full

wf8147.jpg

Its similar to the one above, but the pipes are both at the top instead of one on the side.

I would have thought, that surely the bowl of the filter would fill all the way to the top? and if not, then maybe its just not holding enough at a hi load situation.

Thoughts?

I have many other options of things to check, but thought I would see what people would say about this first.

Previuos owner fit a new fuel pump, which I assume should be right to the task.... but you never know.

other option could be there could be shit on my carb, as I could only blow it out instead of being able to pull the bowl off due to tight as shit screws.

Fuel tank was removed, cleaned out and had all the vents blown out, as this was the problem with my last carry haha

And yeah, new points and condenser are going in tomorrow, as I was wondering if that could be breaking down and losing spark....

Lol

That's my story.

Anothr option is that fuel solinoid thing on you carb. Maybe thats not getting enough voltage or some such.

But sound like a fuel blockage, or icky fuel pump.

From my experiences, fuel filters don't necessarily fill right up...

I wouldn't worry about a little air in the filter. I think you'll find the outlet has a little diddle hanging down inside.

Take off the filter and tip the fuel out to see if there are any lumps. My money is on rust or dirt in the fuel tank blocking the pick up.

I pulled tank out of vehicle and washed the shit out of it with water and blew it out the best I could.

tho upon saying that there were little bits of shit in the bottom of the filter.

I did take it off yesterday and blow it out, and admitly it didn't seem to do it on my way back to shed after that.

have a new fuel filter I will fit tomorrow.

was going to fit tonight along with dissy but got stuck at work.

thanks for the inputs. will try another filter tomorrow and maybe attempt fate along the motor way again.

I had an F10A in a SJ410, and on a mid-cool day, WOT running, it would occasionally ice up. Wait 5, and was all good. Check summer / winter feed on air cleaner? I'm with the guys, check ful flow, solenoid, (fuel pump diaphram?), and sparkies first. After that, the other weirdo I've had, is the Dai at marahau ran fine for 10-15, then as it heated up, the spark leads gradually unseated. Was a bitch to diagnose.

random update.

So as stated I replaced the fuel filter and that now fills to the top.

I also replaced the points and condenser and reset the timing and idle.

so its running again.

had a look over the carb and spotted a vac line had come off the carb, so I thought, BINGO! that must be my damn problem.

So did oil change and tempted fate. Drove the 5km to the motor way no problems. Jumped on the motor way and after half a minute at 80 to 90 km it cut out, backed off and still not getting any better so pulled off into 50km and floored it, t cut out so I switched it off and jammed into neutral so I could check fuel filter etc.

Fuel was still in the filter, so that tells me there is no problem with fuel from the fuel tank.

Got back to work shop and had a look, I did notice that the carb had signs of moister around it.

So The way I see it, It could be three things

1: My coil is breaking down under high load.

2: there is a problem with the float or there is crap in the carb

3: Its freezing up

My bet is actually on the last one, however all the ducting and the flap that changes between winter and summer are gone.

Damn, so Will have to go to a hose place, or use an old vacuum hose , and adapt that to suit.

Hopefully it fixes this damn thing haha