Friendlyfires 2nd Chevette sr20 - Discussion

friendlyfire

Hey man. Find out if Gemini bits are the same. If yes...3 things.

I have a strengthened driveshaft I'd sell for cheap (sleved the outside of the female spline to stop it blowing out)

I think I have a good Gemini tq tube and rubber here that you can have

I'm sure there is an aus crowd selling heavy duty sold rubber tq tube mounts.

Hey man. Find out if Gemini bits are the same. If yes...3 things.

I have a strengthened driveshaft I'd sell for cheap (sleved the outside of the female spline to stop it blowing out)

I think I have a good Gemini tq tube and rubber here that you can have

I'm sure there is an aus crowd selling heavy duty sold rubber tq tube mounts.

Have found a heavy duty torque tube mount in aussie thanks, but still not sure if it will fit piazza

when you say strenghened driveshaft do you mean the shaft inside the torque tube?

Good to see someone on here is doing this right! Seen it on Trademe various times over the years and it looked atrocious with all the trim greened out and odd primed patches and horrible roof and bonnet scoops.

Must be mental with the sr20!

Looking forward to see what you do with it next.

• Like 1

Be awesome if you can get a normal bonnet back on with out cutting it!

As above there is someone in Aussie that does them, if you get stuck I have a couple aussie's on facebook who will be able to sort it for you.

If it helps the gemini complete torque tube bolted straight up to the piazza diff when I converted the wagon to have the piazza diff.. (to give you an idea of the interchangeability)

yup getting a standard bonnet on it is on my list of jobs, only thing i have to do is modify the sump to a rear bowl to get the engine sitting lower then it should clear.

The Sr20 goes pretty good in it but im not 100% happy with it, idles quite high and lots of hory stuff in the engine bay which needs tidying up.

The main part i love about the car is the piazza steering rack, 2.5 turns lock to lock is awesome.

Ill do some measuring when im in nelson next as my white chevette has a gemini diff, then i can compare any differences

any chance anyone has any old pictures of my car saved from the times its been on trademe? id be interested to see whats been done to it previously

• Like 2

hmm Im not too sure now you say that.

Its not power steering but the cert plate says piazza steering rack and the rack looks different to the both types of chevette ones i have seen. I have a quick rack in my white chevette which is also the same ratio as this one so ill need to investigate, ill take some pictures of the rack in the weekend.

• Like 1

Wow- I forgot how little space you have in front. Has it got a fan in there?

Did you manage to locate Mark Brownie in Blenheim about parts and advice? Search Holden club people.

Will you be over this weekend to see your olds? If so get them along on the run. Im hoping my brother will bring his chevette.

yup it has a fan in the front, kinda hanging there on zip ties..... haha.. its another thing to fix.

Na havnt contact mark brownie yet but i will soon.

not coming to Nelson this weekend as im off on a boy fishing trip =)  was there a run on? where do i find this info?

• 2 months later...

Looking good, tried out this little beast when it was for sale as a cheap alternative to finishing mine ( already vinned, wof'd, certified etc) but decided against it, glad it has gone to someone who will do it properly.

Mine is SR20 as well, best way to fix the bonnet solution is to take the sandwich plate between the engine and sump and get it machined down, this drops the engine to about 8 degrees from horizontal from about 30 degrees which is not good and gives plenty of room to close the bonnet.

My memory of the test drive was like sitting in a concrete mixer so good to see those issues being sorted.

I had trouble finding a heavy duty doughnut and tried Aussie but had no reply so if you get a solution please let me know. 

Had a thought about the rough running motor.

If it's running on the factory ECU (i think from memory it is) then one of the inputs is from the speedo, if there is not one then you can get stalling and problems at idle?

SR20s have either a mechanical drive or electronic which are interchangeable so you might be able to fit a speedo from a similar Nissan get an electronic speed adjuster from Jaycars and maybe the problem will be solved (no guarantees) If you look at the PLMS website (ozzy) they detail the problem there and build speedo interfaces but last time i wrote to them they were too busy with other stuff to help.

• Like 1