electric window conversion questions

maxted

Hey oldschoolers thinking of trying to convert my utes windows to electric, it has a pretty simple window regulator

IMG_4448_zpsqfptjbzx.jpg

IMG_4450_zpsnhr0upc5.jpg

IMG_4451_zps286q9ps2.jpg

IMG_4449_zpstciw5g1t.jpg

I was thinking if i flip it around in the door (then it will still slot into the groove at the bottom of the window just from the other side) and make some spacers for the two mounting bolts that don't foul the reg movement and a bit of an adapter for the other two that do, then go to the wreckers and find a electric window motor that fits the gear in the reg and adapt it to bolt to the reg.

how do most electric window motors work travel wise? do they just stop when they come under load i.e. hitting top of door or stopper at the bottom?

anyone got any other ideas? 

• 11 months later...

Racking my brain trying to remember which vehicle I had with the external drive units.. I'm sure it was my Nissan Safari. Had motors that protruded into the cabin and just fitted over the shaft that would otherwise take a crank handle.

I always looked at them and thought they'd be ideal for a conversion.

• Like 1

yeah your dead right torton, factory reg takes like 3 revolutions to do the full window travel haha

flyingbrick- that does sound good it would just be somehow adapting the reg into the door to suit 

turned out my old boy has the exact kit i was looking at for his 36 ford i dragged it out and had a look and it would be pretty easy to adapt into the door it looks like it is the way forward. its made by EZ wiring

• Like 1