VKzac's 1985 VK Commodore

VKzac

LVVTA have a power outtage today and no one is there apart from the office lady apprently. Ill give em a bell tomorrow.

Looking at it....an Auto to manual conversion will require one but eg a 4 speed to a 5 speed wont unless you modify xmembers, tunnle etc. Both blurbs that seem to contridict each other still both say if you modify your pedal box then show them the money!!!!

TBH i wonder if the wof place would even notice?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heya VKzac,

First up welcome and fine choice in motor vechile!

In a moment of weakness I was gunna sell my VH but I have seen the light and am going to keep her as well as continue to improve her.

You may be aware that I am about to plop a Borgy 5 speed in mine and convert it to electric fans......I will add a little more detail and pics to my build thread than I would have if you like as it may be of interest or benfit to you.

I may have got my hands on a supra five speed complete with Master, driveshafts, adapters etc that is currently bolted up to a 186. If this deal works out I will pull the borgy back out and may be able to help you if you are in the market for one and/or yolks etc.

With regards to flywheels, I have been told by an old salt who used to race his VK (the guy i got my pedalbox, clutch cable and driveshafts from) that if you can, run a starfire flywheel. Apprently they are much lighter, bolt straight in and make a pretty descent impact. So thats what I am doing, if I had some bathroom scales I would go and weigh my one to see the exact figures..... maybe ill take it to a mates place.

Last thing and anyone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you will still "legally" be required to get it certified if you change the transmition from auto to manual. You stated further up the thread that one of the reasons for staying with the borgy was because its legal and wont require a cert. Might want to double check that as I would hate for you to get a nasty suprise down the track. Im putting one in because i am a lil lazy, dont have heaps of money to throw at it and have also heard some good feedback on the boxes and am hoping that some of the horror stories are from abused and poorly maintained ones....... Guess we will find out!

Hey mate, 

Yeah I've read your thread and I must say you've done an awesome job! Also followed it on the tard for awhile too.

Please go in depth when you install the electric fan as I'm quite keen do it also! 

In regards to the Cert, I talked to the cert man at the CRC speed show about it and talked about the contradicting statements in the certification documents, and he said they're about to amend it sometime later this year. So I'm not quite sure what I am going to do yet, if I have to cert it, I would definitely just go with the toyota box for the reasons being that it's said to be much much stronger with better ratios and what not. But as I have said, as Im not sure with the whole cert thing so im just waiting till I know what I really should do.

Interesting note with the starfire flywheel too! Might look into it a bit more...

I believe you dont require a cert to go from auto to manual as long as you use all factory components and don't modify anything

As above, the cert lad reckons when I change the pedal box Im altering the braking system... Don't know how that works? 

Zac mate, need me to take some half decent photos of it for you?

It's brown but its not actually that ugly in real life. 

HTC shitty phone life mate haha, go for it 

If you are using bolt on parts the wof man won't know that it used to be auto.

Its not the wof man id be worried about, it's not the cops id be worried about, it's the insurance id be worried about.

I've got a VY booster and master cylinder on the old girl too, VTNZ didn't pick it up, and id never expect them too either. 

Just got off the phone to the VLLTA and yup...as i thought,

Its all in the pedal box. So going auto to manual will need modification or replacement of the pedal pedal box = Pay up (even if you fit an OE pedalbox)

If your upgrading a manual ie 4 to 5 speed etc and you dont have to modify stuff previous stated ie tunnel, xmember etc = you are good as gold.

I wont be recerting my beast untill the supra box is in then.

Just got off the phone to the VLLTA and yup...as i thought,

Its all in the pedal box. So going auto to manual will need modification or replacement of the pedal pedal box = Pay up (even if you fit an OE pedalbox)

If your upgrading a manual ie 4 to 5 speed etc and you dont have to modify stuff previous stated ie tunnel, xmember etc = you are good as gold.

I wont be recerting my beast untill the supra box is in then.

Just as I thought, no point putting in the factory box then. And if you go for certification should just do all the upgrades at once (brakes etc ) too.

What does the average certifier charge ? have heard a lot of different prices before... 

I got stung for $560.

I was just gunna sell it and not worry about the 5speed so I got it certed. Bugger really, but ill put in the borgy and leave it uncertified untill I know if I can roll the supra box. At least I wont have to pull the engine out to swap the manual boxes over and the pedal box etc will already be installed.

I got stung for $560.

I was just gunna sell it and not worry about the 5speed so I got it certed. Bugger really, but ill put in the borgy and leave it uncertified untill I know if I can roll the supra box. At least I wont have to pull the engine out to swap the manual boxes over and the pedal box etc will already be installed.

Sounds about right, a lot of coin though. Yeah I mean it's not that anyone will really notice/ care, Im sure you'll do it legit and safe and not some hack job anyways. 

Still don't know what I'm going to do yet though.....

Heya mate,

Lil update on my starfire flywheel findings. I didnt end up weighing it but the Commy is running bloody sweet with it in. She is reving nicely to 5500rpm at the moe but the power starts dropping off around 4500. She is still pulling but not as hard. She didnt realy like 4k with the trimatic in so its a massive increase. Also im rolling 100kms in fith with 2200rpm. So my advise would be to roll a starfire flywheel if you can.

Good luck on your project

• 3 weeks later...

Heya mate,

Lil update on my starfire flywheel findings. I didnt end up weighing it but the Commy is running bloody sweet with it in. She is reving nicely to 5500rpm at the moe but the power starts dropping off around 4500. She is still pulling but not as hard. She didnt realy like 4k with the trimatic in so its a massive increase. Also im rolling 100kms in fith with 2200rpm. So my advise would be to roll a starfire flywheel if you can.

Good luck on your project

Hey mate,

Sorry for my lack of activity on here. That sounds awesome! I would love to have ability to rev the old 202 out nicer! Also the lower rpms at 100 sounds mint compared to my 2900ish at 100. Have had a little bit of an investigation regarding how much lighter the starfire flywheel is, I saw somewhere someone said approximately 7lbs lighter than the Blue/ Black one. Not 100% on how right that figure is though 

Well the old salt (OS) I brought my 6 cyl running gear raced VK's and swears by them. He thought it was more like 5lbs but wasnt too sure as he has been out of the game a wee while.....he remembered they rev alot harder.

Removing the fan would have helped too. The OS also rekons that you can get up to 8hp by switching to electic fans. Sounds like a bit of a fishing story as that would be the easiest 8hp gain on the planet! I am so glad i pulled that trimatic out though. The car is far more responsive and just fun to drive. Its acctually like a new car. Just gotta make sure I dont crash it now lol!

Well the old salt (OS) I brought my 6 cyl running gear raced VK's and swears by them. He thought it was more like 5lbs but wasnt too sure as he has been out of the game a wee while.....he remembered they rev alot harder.

Removing the fan would have helped too. The OS also rekons that you can get up to 8hp by switching to electic fans. Sounds like a bit of a fishing story as that would be the easiest 8hp gain on the planet! I am so glad i pulled that trimatic out though. The car is far more responsive and just fun to drive. Its acctually like a new car. Just gotta make sure I dont crash it now lol!

Yea 5lbs is probably more realistic. 8Hp sounds like a lot for a change of fan set up! But I guess there's less rotational inertia with the electric fan, along with a little bit less stress on the engine? Anyway, electric looks way better in the engine bay (bae) so hopefully ill do the swap sometime in the near future! 

EST is fine except it is overcomplicated for a very basic function that advance weights and a vacuum advance does perfectly well. Plus it is very early form of computer control so not developed and refined.

When it works there is nothing wrong with it. Till it doesn't. Like now.

Find a VH blue dizzy and jam it in. You may have to do a little research to figure out which wires to use but its not hard and the other wires can just be tidied up and stowed to the side.

Alternative is a run of the mill points dizzy. Cheap and plentiful. You can get aftermarket electronic ignition to fit in a points dizzy. Totally adequate for anything you will do with the car in my opinion.

Yeah I chucked an electronic disy on mine since i got tired of setting points. Havent looked back. Might have a second one in my spares box...... will have a look if you want. You can generally pick one up for a $100-150. Just make sure the vac advance isnt poked. Thats another $70? to get rebuilt.

• 2 months later...

The 202 or in this case 3.3's really respond to small things well as they are a very under-stressed engines.

The EST was there to lock the ignition and stop people putting too much advance into the engines to counter the lack of low end power, it really was a shit bit of kit while they waited for the RB engines and the V6 to arrive.

I too have gone with a  VH dizzy in my VK and immediately it pulls a lot better at lower revs.

I also used one in my quick LC and it was mated to a twin coil setup which gave it excellent spark to over 7000rpm. To produce decent power in these old irons the compression needs to be raised but even without that doing the things mentioned in earlier posts all helps. 

I hope you get to do some mods and look forward to hearing how it goes.

The 202 or in this case 3.3's really respond to small things well as they are a very under-stressed engines.

The EST was there to lock the ignition and stop people putting too much advance into the engines to counter the lack of low end power, it really was a shit bit of kit while they waited for the RB engines and the V6 to arrive.

I too have gone with a  VH dizzy in my VK and immediately it pulls a lot better at lower revs.

I also used one in my quick LC and it was mated to a twin coil setup which gave it excellent spark to over 7000rpm. To produce decent power in these old irons the compression needs to be raised but even without that doing the things mentioned in earlier posts all helps. 

I hope you get to do some mods and look forward to hearing how it goes.

He probably won't be doing much, some bastard flogged it on Monday night/ Tuesday morning unfortunately.