18rgu oil pressure light

Matteybean

Hey guys just got a question regarding my 18rgu..

Its a low km engine . I replaced the oil when I got it (I didn't change filter yet as planned on dropping oil again say after a few hundred kms .

My oil pressure sensor I think is hooked up . Connected it to the little dome at the arse end of the oil filter with plug to match.

Now I haven't driven this on the road yet just had it idling at home . When I turn the engine over the light comes on and turns off after couple seconds as it should .

But when I look closely I can see the light flickering it's so dim you would miss it unless I pointed it out.

Altho . When I accelerate it comes on bright until the Revs drop back to idle.

The oil is exactly the right amount in there.

Any ideas or should I be worried ? When I remove the sensor when engine is running the oil light on the dash doesn't come on ? Have I connected it in wrong or is some gunk blocked somewhere ?

I changed sumps engine is clean as inside and oil pick up filter is crystal clean no gunk on sump etc etc

Now that I'm writing this I've prob answered my own question .. engine hasnt been started in 20 years but always turned over manually meaning that oil filter is prob from the 80s... could that cause the light to come on ?

Any light on this would be good cheers.

ok, that explains everything I think

So your saying your oil light is flickering.

That's because the sensor on the engine is designed for an Oil pressure gauge, which uses a liner style signal, instead of the one on the right, which just measures if there is any pressure, and makes the light go out.

Replace the sender unit that is currently on the motor with the one off your original motor and you will be fine.

• Like 2

Seedy - you are right on the money with what you have said.

I spoke to Matt earlier but I have had the gauge sender vs oil light switch problem before and they work in reverse to each other.

Using the gauge sender with an oil light - rev the motor and the light comes on.

Use the light sender with a gauge - turn the key on and the gauge goes to full pressure, start the motor and the gauge drops to zero PSI

• Like 1

Sorry to hijack but I've got a similar problem with the 6R in my Corona. Basically the oil pressure light is always on while the engine is running, the sensor is the one of the left like Mattybean's. Presumably that means I also need to find a new oil pressure sender like the one on the right?

..On that note has anyone got a spare 18R sitting around? Should fit the 6R since they're pretty similar.

• Like 1

Sorry to hijack but I've got a similar problem with the 6R in my Corona. Basically the oil pressure light is always on while the engine is running, the sensor is the one of the left like Mattybean's. Presumably that means I also need to find a new oil pressure sender like the one on the right?

..On that note has anyone got a spare 18R sitting around? Should fit the 6R since they're pretty similar.

Just got oil filter from super cheap auto 18r oil pressure sensor 15 bucks

• Like 1

Update .

Changed pressure sensor over. oil light stays off completely now . It turned on with start up n then went off bit now doesn't come on at all after few start ups I'm guessing because pressure has built up inside the sensor ?

It doesn't come on when accelerating anymore either. My sensor from other car looked abit rusty on the outside caseing weather that means anything or not . I also unplugged wire n earthed it on the engine but didn't get no oil dash light . Lol seems to come when It chooses :P

Also found out 18rgeu oil filters r bloody different from 18rgu . This was the only one I could see that super cheAP had listed ... 18rgeu are a little longer which foul on the intake :/ so it doesn't bloody fit !! Now redundant prob wont let me return it either fml .

It doesn't come on when accelerating anymore either. My sensor from other car looked abit rusty on the outside caseing weather that means anything or not . I also unplugged wire n earthed it on the engine but didn't get no oil dash light . Lol seems to come when It chooses :P

hmmm. thats weird that the light wont come on when you earth out wire.

sounds like you might have a break in the wire maybe

or a bad earth somewhere