'69 Rover P6 V8 Auto to Manual conversion.

CarolsHusband

Hi all.

The autobox in my Rover has broken. Again. I had it rebuilt 5 years ago but it has run out of gears. I now hate automatics ( I vowed years ago I wouldn't buy another !)

I have a few options. Use all Rover P6 parts and convert to V8 S spec but the 4-speeds are a bit rubbish and top gear is only 1:1.

Go for an LT77 conversion but they are getting really scarce here and they aren't the strongest box either.

However, I have just won a steel case Celica 5-speed box and understand that over there you chaps put Celica and Supra boxes in a lot of cars. Does anyone know of a firm over there that does a bell housing or adaptor plate ? Is the Celica box a waste of time ?

It seems like it should be a good start as it is about the same size and the gear stick is in the right place.

Any thoughts gratefully accepted !

Cheers, Dan.

Celica box is brilliant in my experience and i have seen them fitted to the 4.4 litre rover (P76) but i do not know of any adapters.  They probably do exist though.

Thanks, that's good news. I'm going to have a look at using the P6 bell housing, one hole might line up !

Cheers, Dan

Thanks everyone. I've had a good look on the net and it seems to be a W50 box. There are lots of references to this box being used on V8's big and small and they almost all mention Dellow.

I'll send them an email and see what they've got lurking in a dusty corner. 

Dan

Try the guys in the link. Dellows don't list the correct bell housing for the RV8 on their website but might still be able to get/fabricate one.

http://dellowconversions.com.au/product-category/bellhousings-manual/

Thanks Jay, they've got back to me and the prices don't seem too extreme. Bit worried the shipping is going to cost more.