Cold 4AGE dont like to run

discostevew

ive got a 4age that has dosent like to do much when it is below operating temp.

Lets say i haven't driven it for a few days then i have the problem

Ifs is a cold day and its been some hours then i have the problem

The car will start. Rev at 2ish grand as it usually does for cold start. few seconds later will die. OK so then i start is and give it some throttle. This helps to stop it from dieing but its painful. any attempt to drive the car or put any load on the engine it cuts outs, release the load and comes back. I play the game untill its warm. then the car drives fine. 

I can get the car to idle by itself untill its warm by disconnecting the MAP sensor vac line. the revs drop to something reasonable for the neighbours apart for the slamming of the bonnet.
not 100% sure but when the car runs well, i think its under powered, i haven't driven the car in a year or two so maybe my memories are deceiving me.

Can anyone shed some light?

What car is it in, and is it running standard computer and loom?

Do you have a check engine light on?

I had a similar sounding problem with mine which turned out to be a dodgy connection on the water temp sender at the back of the head.

As above, check the codes.

Ive had this before with a customers car, was the water temp sensor wiring, pins inside the plug needed tightening.  

Assuming it has the cold start injector, try unplugging it and see what happens.

Does this guy have the info on how to pull the codes?  
I know nothing bout doing this on this vehicle and itd be cool if it were put up . i mean 90% it will be the temp sensor and it prob wont even throw a code (will be reading 20% out but still within the scope of the ECU) but hey, having those codes is gold to finding the issue if they are there.

Put a bridge between terminals TE1 and E1 in the diagnostic block, this will cycle your engine check codes. If it just keeps blinking every second there is no fault. Here is a list of codes below. I doubt it's the sender at the back of the head as this just controls the gauge in the dash. The big green plastic temp sender on top of the gearbox bell housing is the ECU temp sensor, I have a functional one of these kicking about if you get stuck.

http://www.ae92ownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/40-how-to-check-and-decode-engine-management-fault-codes/

@vivaspeed - Its a TE71 that original had a 2TB.  i happened apon a crashed AE86 that i swapped all the gear over from 5 to 6 ish years ago..

@pbaines - yes 16V

@Hemi/BLIZZO - since i run the original dash in the car from the carbed engine, i dont have the flashy light on the dash as far as i know

Thanks for the help. Will keep posted as to the results

The temp sensors are easy enough to test. Do it when the car is stone cold ie first thing and again once up to temp. Should be able to get a fair idea off that if its out of spec. Toyota workshop manual has a nice little resistance chart to compare it to.

Like Hemi says, highly unlikely to throw a code if the sensor is just out of spec

You can make up a small loom extension with an LED as a 'check engine' light with a switch to bridge the two terminals that Blizzo mentioned.  $5 of parts from Jaycar, useful for the future as well if you don't have the diagnostic socket in the loom still.

When mine went wrong, it was a pin on the sensor plug actually loose, not an out of spec sensor.

The temp sensors are easy enough to test. Do it when the car is stone cold ie first thing and again once up to temp. Should be able to get a fair idea off that if its out of spec. Toyota workshop manual has a nice little resistance chart to compare it to.

Like Hemi says, highly unlikely to throw a code if the sensor is just out of spec

this is half true.

except I had a rav4 once that ran fine most the time but would occasionaly die.

turns out every so often it would read at -36 degress, then go back to nirmal. but not all the time, and not in correlation to any thing else.

• Like 1

Most excellent!

On behalf of the Oldschool 4age tech division, collectively we require payment for services rendered in the form of a youtube video showing a blatant disregard of your rear tires.

• Like 4