Nick's AX100 2 stroke pine

TimShadboltfan27

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

those chambers sound so good aye. was stoked with mine too. pretty good performance wise too. i find it takes about 10 mins of riding before mine gets properly up to temp and will rev out every gear properly without 4 stroking, but once its there, its happy all day and goes like a cut cat

yeah had noticed the power ban was a tad sluggish. will take her for a ride this weekend. did you end up making a muffler for yours? kinda wanna look into that at some stage unsure what this will be like as a daily, an easy target to pull up then to find out its not registered.

i also cleaned the exhaust port and got rid of 30 years of carbon so should run a bit smoother. might look at rebuilding top end soon, piston and gaskets are showing their age.

and no need for parts but the owner of the fr80 i posted for sale last week is keen to buy it and restore/rat it out so someone do him a favour and help him fund another ax100

havnt made a muffler yet. may or may not, it seems to get a little quieter once warmed up. but i could just have gotten used to it. 

but yes certainly get it nice and warm and youll be impressed with it. also consider gearing the engine down a little. i forget just what tooth count im running now, but its geared it down a bit and it accelerates like crazy, will still pull 90kmh with more to go, but ive not taken it anywhere to wind it right out yet

tonight i got new bars and speedo put on!
JsyMFPg.jpg?1

clubmans and a nice little speedo from modern motorcycle company. the mount on the speedo was not bendable at all (found out the hard way) so i mocked up a little mount for it to go on the left side. still have to tidy it up and get looking a bit nicer. also have a mount the ingnition into the other hole on the fork yoke, or could make a new one that holds both of them instead of two separate mounts. also have to wire up the speedo backlight.

jyIi7R8.jpg?1

the joys of working at an indoor go karting place is that there is always shit lying round to use, and the boss man loves my bike so is always keen to help.

really liking how its coming together. next i will cover the seat, a better taillight set up and perhaps a muffler to make myself a little less noticeable.. not that that's always a bad thing ;)

pII9HnK.jpg?1

• Like 2

whipped up a mount for both the speedo and ignition. really like how my instrument cluster looks now! 

BjSqVlW.jpg?1
quality was not this speedo's strong point, trying to crimp a connector on the positive end, the whole cable snapped off the bulb. will have to solder it back on when i need a light on my speedo haha

k1DArt9.jpg?1

enjoying how it looks, not enjoying how it runs. 4 stroking when cold (really spluttery in 1st, other gears fine) and dying on me. am only just beginning to teach myself the art of 2 stroke tuning, tuned it when first put on the pipe cos it was ridiculously rich and bogging out at a blip of the throttle. is this just a running in phase? or could it be more than fuel mixture? problems have only popped up since the temperatures have been dropping with winter and such.

anyway it looks cool, even if it doesnt run well.

OZmS0Eq.jpg?1

• Like 1

what have you got in the way of an airfilter? 

ive got the factory airbox (with no filter in at the moment) 

seems really odd yours wouldn't run well with the same pipe that mine just loves. 4 stroking when cold ive chalked up as being normal as it goes away quickly on mine. did yours run fine with the original pipe?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

update: have been riding this thing a lot lately. so much fun! everyone needs to experience 2 stroke ring dings as a mode of transport in their lives. bike ha been turning heads everywhere i go, such a good feeling when an old foamer comes over for a squizzy at the servo or wherever. 

only thing ive done to it recently is switch back to running factory airbox (thanks for that one josh!). the bike's frame was so close to the carb my pod filter was pretty much squished inbetween, and came off a few times while riding cos it couldnt fit over the carb fully. 

use to run like a bag of balls when cold, and had a dirty miss at low rpm. factory airbox solved all my issues, runs much nicer!

CoTXiWt.jpg?1

time to get the seat upholstered, then bring on summer for unanimous amounts of ring dings

• Like 2

glad to hear you got it sorted! i kinda wanna ditch my airbox since it looks so lame, but it really does make the bike run properly so i might just sticker it, or take a leaf out of chris' book and paint a number on it etc. 

that pipe really does make it scream huh?

i find mines quieter once its warmed up cause the pulses arnt so harsh. 

i havnt been able to figure out if its my ears getting used to it though. need to get my brother to take it for a warm up run and come back for me to listen.

alloy oil tank isnt a bad idea. or maybe carbon fibre

• 2 months later...

due to exams and shit weather this thing has been gathering dust, but also brainstorming for future mods to improve its handling. would love to take this thing out on the track at a Central Districts M/C club day or even OS nats..
1) huge tyres look rad but handle like a bag of donkey dicks round corners, so probs gonna downsize to 2.75 all round or 3" on the back.
2) stiffer suspension, old bikes of this era are notorious for super floaty suspension, is there a way to stiffen the rear shocks or like a pitbike equivalent for twin shock bikes?
3) disc brake conversion would be tits, an RD50 or RX125 might be a good donor, need to look into whether I need the entire front end or I can whip up a mount on the existing front wheel and forks. GP100 owners, can I get a pic of the disc brake setup and perhaps try to copy?

any info/experience would be greatly appreciated from my fellow ring ding enthusiasts!

super-budget you could compress the rear springs and add in a rubber donut thing underneath to stiffen them up...? hose clamp it on there. lush.

but in saying that, its not a moped so needs warrants...no idea if thats legit for warrants

i did a similar thing on my front forks after cutting too much spring off haha. repco has the cheap rubber bits, i was going to get nolathane but its pricey (/im cheap)

• Like 1

Yeah dont shorten them just compress the spring to fit the packer under it. Nylon should work ok if you can get it round the central shaft, it might work just with a slot in the donut a bit smaller than the shock shaft and just pushed on.

Its just the super budget version of winding tension onto adjustable shocks to stiffener them.

Or just aliexpress some adjustables like this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Motorcycle-accessories-adjustable-shock-absorber-240-mm-330-mm-aluminum-bold-rear-shock/32417212546.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.176.T96VX0&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_6_71_72_73_74_75,searchweb201527_4,searchweb201560_9 you can get them with height adjustment too but dont think those ones have it