Polishing help

anglia4

Having some trouble getting my paint to come up nice.

It has water marks and some oxidation spots.

I've tried cleaning it with the clay bar and it didn't achieve much, so got some meguires rubbing compound which lightened it slightly but not as much as I'd like.

Do I need to go over it a few times with the rubbing compound or try something more aggressive? This is new to me so I'm terrified of fucking it permanently. I've got a carnuba wax to go on as well.

Keen to stick with meguires products too as I don't like to mix different brands.

Help!

Jeff

i would start off not too agressive maybe some meguires swirl x which is not going to do any harm, and a couple of passes with a dual action polisher. If you are hand polishing then you better take the rest of the week / month off work.

if it still persists don't be afraid of getting a bit more serious with it especually. This 3M stuff is my weapon of choice..  I use a foam pad as the wool seemed to mat / clog up on me a bit.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=6583

Personally my go-to for a decent result is with 1200 wet and dry then smash it with the 3000 extra cut which nails the sanding marks and leaves a good finish which would be ready for some Meguires swirl-x if you are keen.

Yeah we have a good orbital polisher but the rubbing compound I got says it is for hand application only.

http://www.meguiars.co.nz/clear_coat_safe_rubbing_compound/

Maybe I should try some of this stuff: "Ultimate compound" looks like it should take care of the oxidation. 

http://www.meguiars.co.nz/G17216/

I had another nudge with the rubbing compound on the same part of the car after the original post and again its lightened the marks slightly more but not enough. Like you said, I'll be there for a month :(

I do have plenty of time off work but thats not how I want to spend it.

Thanks, I have read that one before but there are still aspects where I really don't know what I'm doing.

I feel like the rubbing compound should work better than it is, and that maybe its me that is the problem.

I found if I worked it for more than say 20secs, it was going very sticky/drying and then I had to really scrub with the microfibre to get it back off. This was in-doors but reasonable warm ambient temp.

Orbital polishers are shit unless it's for the waxing side of it . As said above get a good rotary buffer, foam pads are cheapish at super cheap, can't remember the cutting compound I use but it's a good one from a bodywork supply shop, I'll have a look tomorrow and post the brand. Microfibres clothes are awesome for buffing afterwards. If the paint is nice and thick , use a 1500 grit Velcro backed disc on a foam backed disc on a festool / decent orbital sander , use heaps of water . Then buff .

• Like 1

I went hard today with the Ultimate Compound on the Random orbital.

The marks are still there but have faded into the paint somewhat so the overall package is looking much better.

When I have some more cash I'll get a rotary buffer from SCA and maybe try another compound. But for the time being I've got it to a stage where I'm happy.