Mini: suspected seized clutch

SP450andLE

After putting the new engine into my mini, I think the clutch is seized. The car it came from had been sitting for a little while (accident damaged) so it's quite likely.

Basically it doesn't want to engage gears.

I've tried:

• Rolling it back and forth in third gear.
  • Starting it in second and driving along, flooring the accelerator while foot is still on clutch.
  • The same as above, but slamming the brakes on. I even came to a halt once to see if stalling it would help jarr it free. it didn't.
  • Pumping the clutch with the car off.

None of these have worked so far...

Any other ideas?

Would it be worth bleeding the system just in case there's an issue there? (though I doubt there is)

Cheers

I have had good success (twice this year !) start car and warm it up , turn off select second gear , foot on clutch , restart engine (some bunnyhopping) , drive with foot on clutch accelerate swiftly as poss then lift of suddenly , repeat untill it frees . never taken more than 1km for me , good luck , watch out for traffic :-)

• Like 1

Have you confirmed you have good movement on the clutch rod?

Any damage to the clutch hose or air in the system/ loss of bleed

Is the external rod spring fitted?

What does the clutch pedal feel like?

Is there lots of wear on the rod pivot?

Are the big nuts on the end of the clutch throwout rod adjusted correctly?

Try giving the external clutch throw rod full extend travel to see if that helps (then set it back to the correct clearance)

http://www.7ent.com/pages/article-easy-pre-verto-clutch-adjustment.html

• Like 1

It's fairly easy to access, just a matter of pulling stuff out of the way. I would rather try everything else first though.

Movement on the rod is reasonable, spring is fitted. Haven't adjusted the end nuts.

Trying to bleed the clutch atm, though it's being a difficult shit. Pedal has been fairly soft, then it got quite firm part way through. But now it's back to soft...

I'll keep going and depending on what I end up with I'll keep going through the list of things to do...

had similar problem on the mini i had fucked around for ages turned out the slave had dropped its guts fixed that bled it still no go turned out the clutch hose had collapsed and would work like a non return valve. gave me all levels of drama. would jamn in out half way in between you name it took me ages to figure it out.