SOS - Car got munted brakes and stuck in Massey

Wow what an adventure. Went to go to a job interview out at Massey today and notice while on the motorway that my car is driving like a gutless POS. After driving this way for a while, notice smell. As soon as I get off the motorway I pull over, and then see that my front wheels are smoking and my brake pedal will not go down at all. So. Gary the Carry has been abandoned and I caught public transport home (never did make it to job interview). 

If anyone can offer me any help in the form of:

a)road side brake fix - Tim from TTT recently tightened the brake pedal at my last WOF and reckons I could let it down a bit if I needed to, but have neither tools nor competence to do this. Also when the brakes have cooled it might be ok to drive again, but not sure how long for. Would appreciate knowledgeable helper.

b)a tow back to my place or to someone else's, but can't really tow without brakes? Or not ideal anyway.

c)advice - could changing brake fluid help perhaps? Seem to recall something similar happening with the Alto going down the Piha hill one time. I am just freeballing here (tee hee). 

would be much appreciated. Have been left with old car in "divorce" and very much out of my depth (hence pending sale to Seedy Al - if he still wants it with fucked brakes, sigh.)

Cheers

Nez

So yeah, My guess is maybe the brakes have been over Tightend slightly, and as a result a decent drive out west has over heated them and they have locked on. letting them cool may very much help.

Worst case is something has gone wrong with the master cylinder, and its not allowing the piston in the cylinder to return properly., but I would be very suprised

I feel, that ,maybe de adjusting them may help. But without being able to jack it it to know whats going on, its no real help.........

SOMEONE HELP THIS LADY!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Plan B is leave it parked in Massey for a month until you can get here to take a look for yourself Allan! It's warranted and registered and I took the faceplate off the stereo, so it should be quite safe.

Also good plan, letting them know I'm a lady. Should get me more sympathy.

• Like 1

Or leave it there till Allan comes... though I did not want to suggest this as your yard is probably at maximum capacity and you've dug it up as well. 

Thanks I appreciate your help. At least I got all my shit out of your spare room before asking for another favour!

We can accommodate it for a few weeks no problem.

Your welcome if you like to pop out and try the van. If it drives get wit to ours.

Leave the key and I'll move it to a better spot and have a look.

If we aren't home then just in the drive up by white shell is where is put it anyway.

• Like 1

Or leave it there till Allan comes... though I did not want to suggest this as your yard is probably at maximum capacity and you've dug it up as well. 

Thanks I appreciate your help. At least I got all my shit out of your spare room before asking for another favour!

It's been put back together. And we can fit at least 3 more on there before it gets truly uncomfortable.

sounds like the brake pedal has been adjusted just a little to much.    I may be able to help.    let me know if you still need aaaaasssistance, 

Yes this is exactly what I thought, so I rang TTTim when it happened - but interestingly I drove it all the way out to Chickity's the night before with no probs... weird.

I plan to come and move it on Saturday (when I can get a ride out/no traffic) and try it out. Hopefully as the brakes have cooled I can get it to yous guyses and we'll take a look from there.

Thanks everyone!

It could also be a jammed up brake calliper (im assuming is has disc brakes)

either the piston or the slider, but the likely hood is that its the master cylinder.

It'd want to pull to the left or right if a calliper has jammed, a symptom you'd definitely notice.

Ok, so update for all interested parties, particularly Allan and TriumphRod who were interested to buy prior to these shenanigans: Brakes were working after having been allowed to cool, could push down brake pedal again, and responsive, but I tried to avoid using them just in case. Drove to Chickity and Euron8's where Chris loosened the brake pedal again for me (now is loose as proverbial goose, or I guess approximately as loose as they were before the wof). Drove back to my house, where I intend to leave the car (i.e. not driving it anywhere) until it is sold. I'd assume that no major damage was done to the brakes as a result of this happening but could not guarantee that without someone jacking it up etc. 

Back to square one!

This is exactly what happened to that guy off here with with the avengers and dodge.

Clint had a look and there was no free play at the pedal so as the fluid got hot and expanded it pulled the brakes on.

Anyhow awesome it's sussed!

• Like 1

Shouldn't be that loose. I just loosened the plunger so the pedal had a tiny tiny bit of travel before acting on the master cylinder. There's room to tighten a smidge more.

Maybe just feels that way comparatively speaking. It's probably about the same as it was before WOF. After tightening it was like you could breathe on the pedal and it would brake. It's easy enough for new owner to adjust to suit their preferences. Thanks again for your help, it's good to have it home even if I daren't take it anywhere!

Thats good news. 

But do not be concerned about history repeating. 

At the very end of the master cylinder is a port that goes to the fluid reservoir, when you push on the pedal the piston goes past the port covering it so it can pressurise the fluid in the cylinder and feed it to the brakes,

When you take your foot off the pedal the piston comes all the way back again and uncovers this port so that fluid can again flow into the cylinder to compensate for wearing brake shoes/pads or out of the cylinder due to heat expansion or runout at the drum/disc.

If you adjust the pedal so that there is no free play this port can be covered. it takes a while but eventually due to heat expansion of the fluid (it expands more if it contains water) , the whole system becomes pressurised and holds the brakes on. as you experienced. 

I hope this information puts your mind at ease.

as a side note, brake fluid is hydroscopic, which means its keen to absorb moisture from anywhere. especially the humid auckland summer air.

this is why brake fluid needs regular changing. 

The situation is made worse by old braking systems that don't seal the fluid from the outside air.

I assume that this is probably the case with your car.

A ridiculous situation really, why the auto industry continues to use this stuff is beyond logic.

:-)