DIY Aircon

mikey

The phone number is correct but not the address, as mentioned it's Devon Lane, in the same building as Fleet St Panelbeaters (opposite New World).

Oh I see Poo already beat me to it, lol.

Kevin has some R12 but not much left, will be a shame to see all that disappear. I'm getting my Skyline coupe converted to R134a because it's at the stage where a few other components need overhauling too (mainly the dryer) and it's actually cheaper.

Just call me Mr Helpful.

<screenshot>

What the hell, is that a screenshot from The Sims or something?

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That information was useless Steve, especially the one about some dude making a explosion, there have been more fires from R134a car AC systems than hydrocarbon based ones. Anyway ED you should seriously look into running H12 if the silly government says its OK, you won't have to change anything just replace the dryer unit, pull a vacuum and check for leaks, recharge and roll (that is assuming the compressor is fine which most of them are).

I have read some more stz as well, seems the yanks are the only ones to have legislation against Hydrocarbon refrigerant in cars, seems this is largely due to the chemical companies who hold monopolies creating HFC's.

Pretty sure H-12 is legal in NZ, you should track a retailer down Steve.

C02 is used in some cars now.

Sweet - who is using it?

Cars and air con, I feel like Arnie in parmping iyan when he is carming at the gym, carming at home, carming all zee time

Edit: seems VW are using/trialling it. Denso make a compressor for it - would be in the way too hard basket for retrofitting to a car I imagine though.

I am unsure but there are a few the other new refrigerant is something like HFC-1234yf? 

Hydrocarbons – the sidelined solution?

Although it seems to be not widely known, hydrocarbon refrigerants (a blend of iso-butane/R-600a and propane/R-290) have been used in millions of vehicles since around 1993, particularly in the USA and Australia, and there have been no documented reports of fires arising from the operation of hydrocarbon refrigerant in existing systems.

Given the many benefits offered by hydrocarbons designed for use in existing R-134a or R-12 systems outlined in the next page, it is perplexing that they are not in more widespread use in spite of efforts to discourage their use through exaggeration of the fear factor associated with the flammable properties of hydrocarbons.

Now that the science is telling us the problem of HFC global warming emissions is many times greater than previously understood (see news pages), the imperative to adopt all available solutions to replace HFCs can no longer be ignored.

As per spam fred. SHGWAG I wana know if your FD air con stuff is R12 or R134a cos all the stuff I have (JC cosmo compressor, and series 1 rx7 everything else) runs R12. Im running on the assumption/hope that FD compressor will use the same mounting bracket as the cosmo unit (Ive seen a pic, its looks the same) and runs R134a to save me some pissing around setting all this stuff up later.

Compressors are happy with pretty much all normal refrigerants man, the one you have is fine. The normal deal to change to R134a is new dryer, flush out the old oil as it is non compatible with R134, if you can they will swap out the TX/expansion valve that will work better with the new gas. Its really only the oil in the R12 system that isn't compatible, and because R134 is less efficient sometimes different expansion valves.

Steve is going to buy a vacuum pump, manifold gauge set and start charging everyones OS cars with H-12a.  

• Like 1

Oh really, So compressors are all pretty interchangeable then. Based on what I was reading here I thought it was all going to blow up on me or something haha.

good news. Will work the rest of it out later

whats H-12a?

The compressor is just a pump, piston or rotary vane, they don't really care what gas they are compressing as long as they are lubricated which in older systems is a oil in the lines. The fuck up is R134a isn't compatible with the older (sometimes mineral) oils that are used with R12, R134 forms all sorts of acids and shit when mixed with the wrong oil (needs special synthetic stz) So if you don't flush all the old shit out well you can degrade your system over time. 

H-12 is a hydrocarbon based refrigerant (think LPG & propane) that can be directly used in place of R12. Its good stuff, you use less (~2-300g) it is more efficient and its cheap and natural. Heaps of scaremongering that it will blow you up but its used in 1 in 10 cars in oz. Once steve gets setup he will gas your system up, its pretty simple.

• Like 3

Spoke to Kevin just now. He says what I'm doing is not retarted! So I'll hook up the blower, evaporator, compressor and condenser and he can plumb it all up for me.  

I also asked him about H12 and he recks that you can get it here but doesn't know why you'd want to as the performance is pretty much the same as R134 given modern compressors and that.

I'll update this when I start hooking things up. YAYA