DIY Aircon

mikey

The canister on the condenser is pretty much a filter so should get a new one of those. The wires coming out of it are a pressure switch. The system should use a high pressure and a low pressure switch which cut in and out the compressor using the clutch. I done a 2 day course on air con last year and have a few books which can help with diagnosing pretty much all the problems you can face with ac. And they also would probably help to get you set up. Whatever you need to know I should have it in these books. So ask and ill find as much info as you need to get it all working. Youll also need to make sure 1 of your lines has a tx valve in it which drops the pressure down before it enters the evaporator.

Yeah, there's an expansion valve attached to the evaporator. Diaphram looking thing.

Pressure switch makes sense. I can't see any other pressure switch in the setup thou, just that one. And I've taken everything from the car.

Is it possible this setup just has a high pressure switch, and I run the pump until I trigger the high pressure switch, then disengage the clutch?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet. Umm yea there could be just the 1 pressure switch. Im not really familiar with earlier systems. Mainly work on cars that are new and they run 2 switches I dont think its so much of a low pressure switch the other one tho. Its the clutch cycling switch I think cant remember exactly what its called. Suppose it would just be to have the pump running on a duty cycle kinda thing? Would also depend on the kind of pump that it runs if your running a later model pump may need to rig something in. Hope this makes sense? I think im thinking to far into it.

I recommend having a chat to Kevin at Alert Auto Air in Devonport - fairly confident he will be able to assist with your endeavour, and can probably bend up all the requisite lines to suit.

Sheepers knows him too.

So does he run out of his house? This is the only address I can find, 44 Mozley Ave, Devonport. 027 491 2231

Sweet, if he does, the more back yard the better.

On my car the system goes something like:

AC switch ---> Hi/Low pressure switch ----> Thermal cutoff on the evaporator -----> AC compressor relay -----> Compressor clutch

So basically you have to have adequate pressure/refrigerant in the system to keep the low switch closed, too much pressure from the compressor running trips the high switch open and ice on the evaporator trips the thermocouple.

Compressor will cycle on its own as needed.

Fans are run on a relay from the compressor clutch power relay so the fans only run when the compressor kicks in.  Then theres a reference line from this to the ECU for idle up.

So does he run out of his house? This is the only address I can find, 44 Mozley Ave, Devonport. 027 491 2231

Sweet, if he does, the more back yard the better.

Nah, he is next door to the panel beaters. Small shop.

Edit. Devon Lane, Devonport.

So this thread has inspired me to sort my AC (and the associated birds nest of vacuum controls).

Its legal here to run Hydrocarbon refrigerant which is a much more efficient refrigerant than R134 (which is going to be phased out anyway) its also fully compatible with my R12 setup so should be able to blow some icicles in the humid warm summer here.

So hopped on eBay and ordered a vacuum pump, manifold gauge set up, new dryer, new valves and O-rings. Will pop down and get some H12 and correct oil on saturday and try piece my system back together. 

Don't let that put you off though Mikey, R134a wont be gone for a fair while yet, R22 was supposed to be gone and its still around. Takes ages for the phase outs to occur, and R134a is so common there will be loads of stockpiles

Concur wholeheartedly with in car snow though, HC-12a will be what you are after speeno

Oh yea already know what I am after AC-Steve, is it legal to run in a car in NZ?

http://www.hychill.com.au/

Can get small single fill style cans from these guys all over the show. 

I wasn't meaning to try put anyone off, I was just excited about fixing my AC and not having to convert to R134. If you have a existing R134a system then go for gold, 2015 is the date in motion over here (R134 is some kind of super greenhouse gas). Just any actual OS cars with factory AC will be R12 though so just thought I'd mention it. The yanks can still order R12 on ebay haha, ozone haters

• Like 1

If its 2015, thats the date the ban the sale of new products with and new production of r134a, existing stocks still last.

I figured you knew when you said H-12, I was just stroking my HVAC boner.

Not actually sure on current status of HC refrigerants in NZ, I know it gets used on large scale industrial projects, but suspect not in cars.