Toyota FWD/MR2 Gearbox Tech - Diff removal

xsspeed

I am trying to pull an LSD out of an S54 gearbox, have undone the bellhousing but it appears as though it will only come free so far (unless I am being a pussy with it). 

I suspect what needs to happen is, I need to undo the end cover on the gearbox and pull off 5th, before I am able to pull out the remainder of the gearset - is anyone able to confirm this?

The s54 appears to be very similar to the c series just a bit larger so anyone who has played with c52's/c56's might know the answer?

Appreaciate any help, 

Cheers

XSSteve

Suspect this does, when I get back into it I will snap a pic and post up before I go too far

Random musings: the reason I am pulling this diff is cos the box is from an Mr2 and I need the fwd drive shifters - as this is a known nice shifting gearset I can effectively just swap the cases and therefore the shifter mechs too, rather than put an open diff back into this box and using a different gearset of unknown quality.

proper way is to take 5th gear off and split it that way.  but you can get the bell housing end off,  split the case as much as you can (20mm or so) look thru the gap, you will see 2 bolts holding a plate with arm coming off it.   undo both of these with a 12mm ring spanner.  then it will come apart.     i used to pull them apart this way when just doing the lsd swap.

proper way is to take 5th gear off and split it that way.  but you can get the bell housing end off,  split the case as much as you can (20mm or so) look thru the gap, you will see 2 bolts holding a plate with arm coming off it.   undo both of these with a 12mm ring spanner.  then it will come apart.     i used to pull them apart this way when just doing the lsd swap.

Have pulled a c52 like this also.

fffffuuuuuuuu such a waste of that gearbox pulling it to bits / sadface / dont miss working on an MR2.

Have you considered using it as is, by converting to some type of upside down gear shift linkage system of pulleys and chains that mounts to the roof or something?

its not a waste if I actually use it though - all I hope to do is swap the case that holds the shifter mech hopefully,

I have considered it, but I am going to be chocka in my engine bay, I dont think I will be able to get enough bending radius in the selector cables to make it work.

The only other hope is I find another fwd S54 that has a shifter mech that matches the thread of the capped end on the other side of this mr2 gearbox, (the two fwd s54's I have do not match) photos will explain what I mean better.