Nick's 1985 Mr2 AW11 - Discussion

NickTheFox

Cheers guys. Cars just at the panel beaters now getting some rust repaired. Was driving it around for a couple weeks with no wipper motor or fan unit but winter has put an end to doing that. Ive got a warrant in a few weeks just got to hope the list aint to long as its my daily

• 4 weeks later...

Yes you can fix it yourself if you can find a panelbeater who will put their stamp to your work.

You'd be best off to talk to a few panelbeaters and ask them if they will do such a thing.

Then you'll most probably need to provide photos AND/OR go see the panelbeater at pertinent stages of the repair for them to check they are happy with your repair.

Once you are all done then get them to stamp your shit and go back to the WOF guy..

It's no big thing really - just a bit of  a PITA.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply man, Yeah it is a bummer, ill go around to a few place to see how much it will be for them to do it or if they will sign it off. The repair itself shouldnt be to hard as it is all pretty isolated and basic shapes. Ive got a mig welder I can get my hands on and my old mans a fitter and turner although hes never done any panel work. You wouldnt happen to know any good places to a get a CO2 bottle checked and filled in Wellington I heard wormalds do it

You don't actually require a Panel Beater to sign off your repairs. The repair's just need to be done in a workmanship like manner / standard. The decision rests on the person who failed the WOF to deem the repair acceptable when you take it for a recheck.

There is no magical database where your rust has been photographed and stored as evidence. The form you just received is just used by WOF inspectors to be able to clearly show the customer where the affected areas are so they don't come back having not repaired it.  

Some WOF inspectors will require you to get a professional panel beater to look over the repair as a means of peace of mind. But this is by no means a legal requirement. Some WOF inspectors just don't like making decisions, and prefer someone else to do it for them.

Hope this helps. Just as a note it is in your best interest to get a thorough WOF that is up to the required legal standard. You will be glad that your car is solid when a learner driver T- Bone's your ass and your car folds in on itself squashing you or your passenger.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply man, I owe you a beer. That makes much more sense considering the WOF guy didnt even mention it to my dad who took it in just showed him the spots he wasnt happy with.

I guess I should really go over and check with the warrant guy before I make any decisions.

Im definatly not one to do shitty repairs though, I was just hoping I could get thorugh a warrant so I could still get to uni and back and fix it in the holidays when I have time. I understand why it failed as I would fail it as well.

Again thanks for your replies it really helps.

Cheers

Nick

• 1 month later...