Fixing a sloppy box (steering box that is)

HighLUX

No im not talking about the Hamilton O week sort of sloppy box

More the non powersteering toyota type.

There seems to be a bit of slack in the steering on my hilux, you can turn the steering wheel from say 12 to 1 oclock before the wheels actually react to the steering wheel being turned. All the tierods for the steering seem fine so Im guessing the slop is in the steering box itself.

Can the be rebuilt? I tried adjusting the screw ontop of it to take some out but it made no improvement/probably wasnt doing it right

You should be able to take up some slack (if its the box itself) using the screw on top of the box (I was reading up about it just the other day for my datsun). Loosen the locknut then tighten the central screw (it says only finger tight, no real tension), then tighen the nut

You could try adjusting the screw (wind it clockwise to take up tolerance)

But if you wind that up too much becasue the wear is great then the box will be tight anywhere other than the centre.

It's not oversize tyres stretching is it?

Also have you got someone to swing on the steering wheel while you inspect the slop in the tie rods? What year lux? probably can get a new steering box from the states if its an older one, parts will be around to rebuild it locally as well