1987 1uz e30 (the Sake Bomb.)

d.p.n.s

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

ive been thinking about the front strut brace and all the one I see for sale just wont work with the v8.

there are a few that are close but ive moved it so far back that they just wont work.

soooo what I was thinking is a plate on the firewall with a bar from each strut gong back to it and then a bar between the bars.

kinda like this.

nblt.jpg

note the motor in this pic is just sitting in there it now sits a lot closer to the firewall. but you get the idea

and the code I got for removing that shit was 47.

and heres the fix

and thanks to one of the lads on lextream thats code 47 fixed
if you do ever get code 47 (its from cutting out all the traction controll wires) all you have to do is
1 earth pin 31 on the 34 pin plug
2 bridge both pin 1 and pin 12 on the 22pin plug togther.
and that will sort that out.

ive been thinking about the front strut brace and all the one I see for sale just wont work with the v8.

there are a few that are close but ive moved it so far back that they just wont work.

soooo what I was thinking is a plate on the firewall with a bar from each strut gong back to it and then a bar between the bars.

kinda like this.

nblt.jpg

note the motor in this pic is just sitting in there it now sits a lot closer to the firewall. but you get the idea

I don't think that will do a whole heap anyway? These things are super solid in the strut/engine bay area compared to an 80's Jappa. 

The works cars tied back into the dash bar like this: 

408172_311413635560805_1074872831_n.jpg

I don't think that will do a whole heap anyway? These things are super solid in the strut/engine bay area compared to an 80's Jappa. 

The works cars tied back into the dash bar like this: 

The E30's are actually quite 'weak sauce' when it comes to chassis strength in the front end.

Quite often in road going cars you will see cracks around the battery tray/firewall on the d/side and the wheel well on the p/side.

Also where the chassis rails join the firewall.

What you can't see in those Grp A & DTM cages is the mass of bars they put in the front end.

There are the bars you can see, triangulating to the dash bar.

Also from the towers to the bottom of the A-pillars, and from the intake side tower (top) to the bottom of the opposite A pillar (across the back of the engine/over the gearbox - in the pic below).

And, from the dashbar/A-pillar joint down to the front sub-frame mounts in the chassis rails.

CageW10.jpg

And then they went bezzerk for the E36 STW/BTCC chassis:

S4201.jpg

DSC00188.jpg

Just added a cpl of E36 pics above.

When I did my cage I wanted to add those same bars you sketched in, triangulating the towers but going through to the dash bar, but had no more coin.

I think that would be a better solution than a 'strut brace'

Are you thinking of doing something removable?

Just added a cpl of E36 pics above.

When I did my cage I wanted to add those same bars you sketched in, triangulating the towers but going through to the dash bar, but had no more coin.

I think that would be a better solution than a 'strut brace'

Are you thinking of doing something removable?

yes im after something I can remove.... might just go ahead and start making some parts.