4D56T Stalling & smoking

My name is Russell

Yeah thats the one, not much fun to replace. I once assembled one with locktite sealant the was expired by about a month. Everything leaked after about a year.

And yeah if plenty of smoke is coming out of dipstick tube or breather to intake then you will be chasing oil leaks all the time, I have drilled a larger hole in the rocker cover and vented them to the ground before but thats last resort when owner has no money.

They take rings well even with messy bores, sump and head off and it takes bugger all.

• Like 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah thats the one, not much fun to replace. I once assembled one with locktite sealant the was expired by about a month. Everything leaked after about a year.

Oh no, Whats not fun about replacing them? Is there springs and all sorts behind there? or just lots of oil? Looks like the two gaskets are easy enough to get a hold off so might just do them to eliminate that?

capturefb.jpg

capture1nh.jpg

And yeah if plenty of smoke is coming out of dipstick tube or breather to intake then you will be chasing oil leaks all the time, I have drilled a larger hole in the rocker cover and vented them to the ground before but thats last resort when owner has no money.

They take rings well even with messy bores, sump and head off and it takes bugger all.

Have got a fair bit of blow by coming out of the rocker cover but was told was semi normal for diesels? I think there could be a little in sump too as oil comes up the dipstick aswell actually at idle?

I presume the head breathing is from carbon'd up valves? it had a recon'd motor / head two years ago was told.

Compression test? or no point/off topic?

Realling annoying, motor is running well once warmed up its just getting oil all over the cam belt which im worried will cause it to slip.

Perhaps i should just replace alternator with new one and do the above two seals?

Oh its still getting on belt? Don't worry about the front cover gaskets then, (they aren't difficult to do just messy) run it without covers and check, (with crank pulley on or bottom sprocket will slide off) look real close at where rocker cover seals around cam tower part.

Also had them leak from the nut on the top of the oil pump you can see in one of your photos.

You didn't buy it lately from down here did you? Just everything lines up with a customers one he sold lately.

Neat thanks Ranter.

Yup oil still getting on the cam belt. Does that mean its not likely to be those front two plates?

Car was purchased in wellington from an ''x mechanic'' few weeks ago. All started from water pump gasket failing, replaced that and tried to fix leaks at same time but been struggling to trace them! (Leak down test says head gasket survived the very short over heating)

Thanks you your halp, will give the above a go,

Na those plates will leak outside the enclosed area, don't worry about alternator either for now.

If you have remove your belts again I think its the upper b/s that has a removeable shaft the seal sits on, turn that around so seal can seal cleanly, pressure relief valve and rocker cover gasket as mentioned are the other usual suspects.

upper b/s = balance shaft? Think i know the one you are talking about one has a shaft that slides onto the seal were as the other b/s is the other way around / typical.

Can the motor be run without the alternator belt on or is that oil pump on the back critical? (actually unsure what it does)

Will pull apart and report back.

Thanks again

those alternators are common for leaking oil seals normally the shaft gets grooves worn in it from the seal and they leak. You can repair dodgy wise by not pushing the seals all the way home so they sit on a new piece of shaft. you will find the alt full of oil and the internal fan blowing it everywhere i suggest disconnect the oil feed from the alternator block the feed from the block and remove the alt belt and run it till it gets hot

Just finished pulling belts of and the new front crank seal has eaten itself! Not having much luck with these blue seals! Looks like its spun free even with the sealant on outside grease on inside and sitting out further off old worn groove.

Thanks for help guys hopefully 5th time lucky with some decent BNT seals!

Silent shafts seem tight to slide off now dow.

Flip did the cam and balance shaft belts twice tonight!

Bit ashamed to admit it but I think I have sorted the issue *blush* I removed one of these two VvVvV bolts (to tired to remember which) from front cover from doing water pump by accident (rattle gun happy no doubt) and it must have had an oil gallery behind it! HOPEFULLY! that's the solution!

capturedes.jpg

THANKYOU FOR EVERYONES HELP!

I hope I don't have to re visit this thread any time soon! At-least I feel I have learnt a bit more about this motor and diesels for next time.

I managed to arc the back of the alternator out tonight in my mad rushing so hopefully that hasn't done any damage *arrrrrh*

• 3 months later...

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

IGNORE ABOVE POSTS NEW ONE HERE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Recycling old thread

Just picked up a friends corolla on trailer to help fix his car and the darn Pajero has started being a menace!

Started blowing quite a bit of white smoke

Is now stalling at idle after a min of idling.

when i pump the fuel filter the pump doesn't go firm

One of the injectors looks to has a bit of fluid around it as if it could be leaking.

What could it be oldschool.

Rings? Fuel leak? - solution?

No point plonking in new glow plugs is there?

What colour white smoke?

White with a blue tinge means turbo, does it smell oily

White with a grey tinge is fuel, does it smell like unburnt fuel?

If the fuel primer isnt getting hard it can either be a resticted or blocked suction, blocked fuel filter etc

have you fueled up using containers or always from the pump?

Take the fuel filter off and check for water, or sludge which indicates diesel bug

Or the return check valve a the injection pump may have failed, weak spring etc

Glow plugs only help with cold start,

Sounds like air getting into the fuel line..

Check that you have no fuel leaks in the injector lines and that the fuel pipe fittings are tight on the injectors and pump.

Then clean round the injectors and lines with brakekleen and then use compressed air to dry it. Start the engine and look for leaks.

Sounds like air getting into the fuel line..

Check that you have no fuel leaks in the injector lines and that the fuel pipe fittings are tight on the injectors and pump.

Then clean round the injectors and lines with brakekleen and then use compressed air to dry it. Start the engine and look for leaks.

i agree i think its fuel related, i do have a spare pump i should really recondition and learn how to install. the old seller said it ran better on old pump it just leaked.

Will do that thanks KK.

might replace the fuel lines too, make sure they are sealing as look a little old.