w55 gearbox removal

craig_b

whats up chaps, got to replace clutch in car, whats the quickest way to get this done? am i going to run into any hassels trying to slip the gearbox(w55) out the back with out moving the motor(1ggte) need to get done as quick as possible as dont have suitable location to get it done, also been told theres 2 different clutch sizes which is also a pain as i cant have everything there ready to go

Remove gearstick.

Drain box fluid.

Remove driveshaft.

Loosening motor mounts has helped me in the past, can't remember how much room is in a soarer so just wing it.

Pretty sure it's easiest to get to top bellhousing bolts from the top, if not use long extension and get creative with wobbly drive, then undo the rest.

Undo speedo drive.

Put jack underneath box and remove crossmember.

Let it down and slide box off.

Can't remember if thrust and release bearings come with kits, but replace those and get flywheel machined while it' out etc etc.

Someone with more knowledge will hopefully correct me soon.

• Like 1

The turbo motor should have the larger diameter clutch from memory..

my 1G had a bit of a leak from the rear of the rocker covers too so plan on doing a bit of a clean up around that area before jamming the box back in... i had the box out in around an hour and back in in about 45 mins.. plenty of room in the starlet.. it's also easiest to take the starter right out..

Remove gearstick.

Drain box fluid.

Remove driveshaft.

Loosening motor mounts has helped me in the past, can't remember how much room is in a soarer so just wing it.

Pretty sure it's easiest to get to top bellhousing bolts from the top, if not use long extension and get creative with wobbly drive, then undo the rest.

Undo speedo drive.

Put jack underneath box and remove crossmember.

Let it down and slide box off.

Can't remember if thrust bearing comes with kits, but replace that and get flywheel machined while it' out etc etc.

Someone with more knowledge will hopefully correct me soon.

aparently beaaring dose come with the kits the bnt man said,not expensive either which is good, just hoping that i dont get gearbox unbolted and halfway out and find something stupid is in the way and it all has to be put back together or if its quicker to whip engine out, but cheers man will just give it a go when i get some time.

Depending on when you're planning to do it I can lend a couple of hands. Not that that answers your question.

haha cheers man, i can be supervisor and ill just sit back in a chair drinking beer while you sort it? keen?

shouldnt be to hard just gotta find the spare time/cash/motivation now. the years pretty much fucked

never had a problem aligning clutchs by eye, hopefully be the case this time too haha

Yeah I've never had too much drama with that. I seem to remember having more problems with autos haha.

You shouldn't need to remove motor in RWD.

I'm about to do clutch kit in my corolla and I'll just drop the whole motor because it's easier in FWD I reckon. Also it gives me a chance to check everything easily like alt and starter.

+1 for getting fly machined. Mine vibrates so hard that the fender mirrors goe out of alignment...

With the 1J I jacked the front of the engine so it tilts back and got underneath with a really long extension to do the top bellhousing bolts, they're fucking cunty to get at from the top and found this a million times easier. 1G/soarer might have more room up top.

Edit: with gearbox crossmember unbolted and on a jack for max angle

yeah shouldnt be too bad i guess, just trying to gauge if i can get it done at home(if i can be fucked batteling) with minimal tooling and axle stand/jacks etc or should try get some workshop space, only issue is not having a clutch kit by my side to slap stright in so taking more than 1 day due to everything shutting at 12pm and not being able to work on the car till after 12pm haha