master cylinder sizing

flyingbrick

hi all.

iv just bought a brake pedal box which mounts 2x master cylinders with an adjustable balance bar above the footwell.

there are a number of different sized master cylinders available to fit to this unit but I'm at a loss as to how to choose which is best.

what's the potential issues by going too large? increased pedal effort and what?

does everyone run a brake boosters these days? iv never driven a car without one - do they exist for comfort reasons or are they actually required?

car will be approx 1000kg and have v8 vt holden brakes front and rear

^ this, go on the smaller side. bought 3/4's for the starlet, then swapped one out for a 5/8.(smallest they sell) as pedal was super heavy and there was bugger all travel. sole of your shoe squashing into your foot, was the pedal feel.

but all depends on your pedal ratio's and caliper piston sizes

basically- the suggestion is 1" master because with the factory master you run out if fluid to supply the slaves before they are all the way clamped ( does not make sense to me since the pads sit so close to the disk).

I guess masters are cheap enough that I can buy a few to try out if needed.

new pedal assembly is from Coleman racing- takes two cylinders with a balance bar ( so bias is adjustable)

it's made to put the cylinders up above your feet.

be near impossible to fit factory cyl to it- and impossible to fit its booster unit. also I have to use remote resiviors

Thats sweet. I need something like that.

I never thought about ditching the booster, but that will make things sooo much easier with my motor because the RH head is touching it. that colman pedal box looks like it has way more leverage so you don't need to run a booster.

You can also remote boost a brake circuit if you find you need more assistance. You can also say boost the front circuit only with a remote booster set up. But probably isn't ideal for a car using balance bar adjustable brake bias. More a suggestion aimed at Simon if you need space for an engine conversion...