auto trans question

shizzl

have been thinking lately about auto transmissions and if they can be "turned" into a manual..wait ill explain...

a few years ago i remember a guy who had an old falcon coupe that he drag raced alot.

he had done something to his trans that made it into a manual box type deal..

basically it would change gear unless he pushed the selector up one..and it stayed in that gear even when he stopped...

get the gist?

so if you have a box with 1,2,D,N,R,P...youd just have it in first then mash it up,basically Drive is 3rd gear...

just to single out a trans i would say for instance a e series falcon trans..

you could do something similar for an electronically controlled box as well, they just have solenoids to control fluid flow inside the box, so if you got tricky you could design something that does the same thing electrically.

they are actually a bit of a pain in the ass if its something you drive regularly. i certed a car a while ago that had a manual valvebody, the owner didnt know it had one. bigblock chev, low diff gears, histall converter, so a bit hard to tell

i said" how do you drive it?"

"i just put it in D"

"watch this"

"oh thats much better"

its not for a daily thats for sure..

been toying with the idea of one in a stockcar,elimintates smoked clutches,quicker starts...

the biggest issue i can see is the weight of an auto trans itself..

most boxes that are used in them are around 17kg dry weight,minus bellhousing...

ive never weighed an auto cos ive never played with them..

do you guys think a holden trimatic would be suitable or are they shithouse?

The problem with using an auto is the weight issue. There is a car in Auckland running an auto, its super competitive. With the later autos you can electronically hold it in gear, Dad bought an MX73 With it done to it. Stayed in second regardless of revs, shifter position. You could bounce it off the revlimiter all day if you wanted to...